North Carolina May Declare Official State Religion Under New Bill

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/north-carolina-religion-bill_n_3003401.html http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/north-carolina-bill-would-declare-official-state-religion/

Considering the source is the HuffPo, I didn't take it very seriously but went online and did some additional research. I just cannot get my mind around a "pick and choose" metality. From what I have seen the GOP and many conservative followers, the Constitution is the basis for many of their arguments (gun rights for example).

"The bill says the First Amendment only applies to the federal government and does not stop state governments, local governments and school districts from adopting measures that defy the Constitution. The legislation also says that the Tenth Amendment, which says powers not reserved for the federal government belong to the states, prohibits court rulings that would seek to apply the First Amendment to state and local officials."

What is the point in having the Constitution if States are free to ignor or as this says defy any part of it they disagree with?

emptynstr

Asked by emptynstr at 3:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• butterflyblue19

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I'll copy and paste my answer from the RD question on it:
    The ugly thing is technically, they're right. The original colonies each had their own designated religion, and that's how the 1st amendment came about. Half of them refused to sign off on the Constitution unless a clause was added saying the government couldn't make them switch. The upside is they added the bit about not letting the states force anyone else, either, because they also had a habit of executing people who practiced the "wrong" religions in their states. Ironically, ALL of them were Christian denoms, they were just killing people of other Christian denoms.

They can "declare" all they want, but the second someone takes a school or city council prayer case to the SCOTUS, they're still going to lose for prohibiting someone else's free exercise.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• What's the point in having the different states?

Over time, the federal government has basically stolen more power than it was intended to have by exploiting one of the constitutional clauses giving congress authority over interstate commerce. You can stretch damn near everything to fit interstate commerce if you try hard enough. Under the Constitution as written, the fed should be far more hands off than they are in most areas. This, however, is not one of them - they can pass their "official religion", but the way they intend to enforce it will still bite them in the ass.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• If it makes it to the supreme court it will be struck down.  It is a shame that they using taxpayer money this way.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• What's the point in having the different states? I'm not for an official religion of a state even though it is constitutional. But I think the federal government has gotten way too big. So states' rights are important to me. I believe the only way to ensure equal rights is for our laws to govern from the bottom up not from the top down. If the state of NC thinks its rights as a state are being trampled, even though this acton is extreme, it must be in the hands of the the citizens of NC.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Why don't they just whip out their dicks and piss all over the Constitution? States Rights really piss me off...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• That may very well be, NotPanicking, but like Thomas Jefferson said, "People deserve the government they get."
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2013