She won't let go of her blankie..

She has always been really attached to it, you know won't go anywhere or sleep without it. As of today though, she won't even eat without it. She started screaming and crying when I took it away from her to eat. Do I take a stand and take it away from her when she is eating? Or do I let her have it and just wash it every day?

lilbit837

Asked by lilbit837 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd see if you can get her to agree that folded on the table nearby is OK so blankie doesn't get food on him.
    And don't try to "break" her of this. Why on earth would anyone want to "break" their child? If they run around too much, do you "break" them so they can't? Of course not. Why is it OK to "break" a child of something just because it is annoying or inconvient to us? This really boggles my mind.

Many, many kids use blankies or stuffed animals as comfort items. Why? Because the lovey LOVES them, no matter what, and never tells them no. They have complete control over the lovey. They can be angry at it, can tell it no, whatever they want and the lovey still loves them.

And you know what? Many loveys end up going off to college, living quiet lives in the back of closets - close enough for comfort but out of sight. There is no harm in a lovey at any age.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i am kinda a loosey goosey when it comes to things like this. I would let her have it and slowly but surely begin breaking it away from her.

I would start with "we dont take blankie out of the house" then move to "we dont eat with blankie" and so on and so on. Until you have it at bedtime only.

I dont think it hurts her at all, but it is just something to work on. ;)
    Anonymous

• you dont really have to wash it everyday. tell her she may have it when watching tv or sleeping but other then that she wil have to go without... im 20 and i have a pillow cas thats silky... and to be honest, somtimes i have it with me when im eattin in the lving room
    Anonymous

• I don't know that I have an answer for you. I am interested though as to how a habit like this starts. I know a kid in Pre-K that carries this afgan with her to school, puts it in the cubby at school but as soon as her family comes to get her the "eating of the blanket" as I call it begins. She is nearly 5 and still sucks on a frigin afgan for goodness sakes! I don't want to be judgmental, but it's ridiculous to see kids that old with a "binki" or "blanket" habit. Your child is younger so I think if you start treating the blanket as a blanket, not a growth attached to the child you could break her of it.
    Anonymous

• Let her have it..she will grow out eventually...she needs it still right now.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:50 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'd let it go. I really thought my daughter was never going to let go of her woober. I used to have to have her put it in our washer and dryer so she thought she was giving it a bath.

One day she just put it down. And it was done.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2009