If someone questions the Bible/Q'uaran,do you see that as an attack on you as a follower of that religion?

By questioning,I mean in a respectful or inquisitive manner.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I'd add a follow up to this - if someone you already dislike asks the question, do you assume it's disrespectful regardless of how it's written...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• It depends. It is one thing to question the Bible, or faith or God in general. It is something else to come in with a preconceived notion and refuse to allow for any explanation aside from that one conclusion, if you get what I mean. Obviously if your mind is already made up, what is the point of asking? I don't see anything wrong with being displeased about intellectual dishonesty or outright disrespect. But sincere conversation? Nothing should be off limits in a religious conversation if both parties are being sincere and respectful. Often, though, it's just not the case. We see generalizations, outright name calling of someone's God, disrespect of their holy text, etc, etc. I can understand taking issue with one interpretation, but remember that each religion is made up of MANY interpretations, and just because you're disgusted by one doesn't mean it's okay to disrespect the religion/beliefs/followers as a whole... cont
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• No, by them being respectful and inquisitive shows they are not trying to bash me for my views. Instead they are trying to understand and learn how each others beliefs differ or in same cases are similar. That is how the world works, when you don't understand something, you ask.
    If they were trying to make me feel stupid or wrong for my beliefs, that is a whole different story. But your question clearly states in a "respectful and inquisitive" manner. I don't see how anyone willing to participate in teaching or helping others could or would ever take it as an insult. If they do, find someone else to ask.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Do I have some haters in this section? lol

More like there are a few haters who hate everyone equally...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• NO! I do not see it as a personal attack on me or my religious choice. I might, depending on how it is worded, find it to be a rude or pot stirring question... to me it all boils down to *my* choice. No one can make me feel bad about what I choose to believe. No one can convince me that what I believe is 'wrong'. If they are able to change my convictions on something it is after much, thought and deliberation and still boils down to *my* choice. It would be silly for me to feel that any question on my belief system is an attack. Plus with so many different points of view on faith, it would be tiring and frustrating to react to every one of them with upset or hurt feelings.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Or box the conversation into merely that ONE interpretation. Trust me, I find MANY of the things Christians believe just as revolting as the rest of you (general you, as most of the people in this section aren't really guilty of this - I just see it in other places on CM), so please don't lump me into that generalization or see the faith that is important to me through only that one lens, you know? And don't tell me I'm not a "real" Christian so my interpretation doesn't count and isn't reason enough to show my faith respect.... I just see, in debate groups here and all, that sometimes Atheists (again, not you ladies, lol) can be just as closed minded about religion as fundamentalists, and insist on only debating from that ONE POV, boxing all Christians into it and disregarding any Christian who tries to contribute outside of the narrow definitions they have.... lol, I guess it's off topic HERE, though..
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Not at all. If someone is respectful and inquisitive, I try to answer questions I know about, or find out the answers to those I don't know. I feel attacked when someone is hostile or accusatory, or when someone suggests that the Bible is ridiculous and I'm an idiot because I don't agree with that assessment. But honest questions are always helpful because they challenge me to figure out what I believe and why, and the person who is asking may genuinely want answers.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• how will someone know if they do not ask
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• To me, i dont understand anyone who would believe in ANYTHING that cant stand up to debate, conversation, or even outright hostility.... so question away! Lol
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Only the incredibly insecure would see it as an attack.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2013