Hysterectomy

I have had issues with ovarian cysts for almost 7 years now. I finally found a doctor that gave a shit enough to do something about it after we found out that I also had a tumor on my uterus. I am supposed to go have surgery next Tuesday to get the cyst and the tumor removed. After all of the issues I have had, I just want a hysterectomy and get it over with but the doctor says that since I am only 25, he will not do a hysterectomy. Does anyone have any advice as to what I can tell the doctor to convince him to do it? I really do not think that just removing the cyst and tumor will eliminate my problems. I think that the cyst will continue to come back. My mom eventually had a hysterectomy after having problems with cysts for so long. Please help me out. I am tired of being in pain and randomly bleeding. I can't enjoy sex anymore because of the constant pain. I just want to get it over with and move on with my life. Even if I can just convince him to remove the left ovary which has been 99% of the problem I would be ecstatic. Thanks for any advice in advance!

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 4:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Health

• I think (although I am no expert) that it's all about hormones. You don't want to go on hormone replacement at such a young age. I think cancer may be a problem caused by hormone replacement. So why not take one step at a time since a hysterectomy is very invasive & not a simple surgery. You could always get a second opinion too. That is what I would do. GL.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I had a hysterectomy at 28 but I had cancer so it was a different ball game. This is my advice to you....do this surgery (which I assume will be minimally invasive). That will at least give you some relief and, during that time, you can do some research, see another medical provider, get some questions answered.

When I had my hysterectomy they removed everything but one healthy ovary and that got me through menopause (at 48) just fine. This is a huge step though and doctors are reticent about such a life altering surgery at such a young age.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:14 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I had a hysterectomy at 36. Cancer. I had everything removed. I kid with my husband and say technically, I'm not female anymore. There were pros and cons. I would go with what the doc says, and give it a chance.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 8:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I would seek out another doctor and get a second opinion. If you have one ovary removed, you will be just fine with the other. I had issues with pain and excessive bleeding and my doctor did an endometrial ablation, boiling out the inside of my uterus, when I was 30. I was done having children (and my husband had a vasectomy when we were 26) so it wasn't hard to agree that it was the best choice for me. Until I was out of pain and not bleeding all the time, I didn't realize how much it had been controlling my life. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• JulieJacobKyle- When I go in for surgery he wants to remove the cyst and the fibroid and burn any endometriosis spots. My left ovary is the only one I have problems with. I have 3 children and had a tubal when I had my son in January 2012. I need to do something. I had another cyst rupture last night and it is just so frustrating. Ready for the ending
    agrafel

Comment by agrafel (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2013