Recent School Shootings

Would you be opposed to having your child's school doors locked? You would have to be buzzed in from the office to enter. Would this make you feel that your child is safe, therefore, a little inconvenience on your part is necessary and completely understandable? Or, would you be annoyed since it would take time from your day and think it was going "too far"?

ggsmom333

Asked by ggsmom333 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• Thats how anyone gets into my son's school now.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

Do you like this new change?
    ggsmom333

Comment by ggsmom333 (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• A lot of schools are like that. The only way to enter my son's school is through the main office (granted they don't have to be buzzed in to enter there). Yes I like the idea and yes it makes me feel like he's safer (though even that is not fool-proof).
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Its been like that since my son started school. He is in 4th grade now.

Since all the school shootings nothing has changed at his school. The police were there for a couple days after the shooting in CT, than they said they would just have the presence of an officer in the area, and that lasted for a few weeks and after that nothing else.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• that's how our school system is now. and that's how most of ohio schools are too. my oldest is in the 5th grade and even their preschool was set up like that.
    it's to protect the kids. theres alot of pedophiles out there, and then you have those very ugly divorces that one parent is trying to take the kids just to spite the other parent.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• My daughter's school has done that for years. It's no big deal.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Theoretically ours schools do that too. ALL doors are supposed to be lock during school hours (9:30-3:30). I've entered one of those locked doors at noon though. Security here is a joke. We're also on the other side of the country from all the recent shootings.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• It is how it is supposed to work at my son's school, but the door that is unlocked doesn't lead into the office, the office is off to the side. It wouldn't bother me if they changed it. I don't see it happening though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Are their any parents that would argue locking the door due to an incident that was unlocked before?
    ggsmom333

Comment by ggsmom333 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• After Sandy Hook my school had All classroom doors, inside and out locked. We did this for a few weeks. Now we are back to all outside doors are locked, except the front office door.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 8:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2013