When you started feeding your little one cereal...

Would you offer it at a certain time of day? Would you offer it after he's had a bottle/breastfed or before?

mylittlemonkee

Asked by mylittlemonkee at 4:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Listen, first of all if you feel that your baby is ready for cereal, your baby is showing the signs he/she is ready for cereal and if the doctor says it's alright to go ahead with the cereal...feed your baby the cereal. I've started my son on rice cereal just once a day, just to let him get used to it before I go to twice a day. At that point I'll give him cereal once in the afternoon and once before bedtime. I give him the cereal before his bottle and I use a spoon for the cereal. If you choose to use feeding nipples for your child, don't let anyone tell you you're lazy for doing so. I'm using a spoon because I want my son to get used to the idea of eating from a spoon sometimes in addition to his bottle.
    zeebz

Answer by zeebz at 8:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I gave it to her at naps and bedtime. It helps with sleeping through the night.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 4:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We started cereal at 4 months. We started with it at dinner when we ate. Then she had a bottle before bed. It helped her to sleep longer through the night since she was fuller. Then we switched the cereal to breakfast and added fruits when she was able to have veggies at dinner.
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It helps her sleep longer because cereal is hard on the digestion especially on a babies.

Its not because they are nutriently satisfied its because you have bogged down their digestive system.
    Anonymous

• We first started at supper time. When we started veggies, we made them supper and cereal breakfast then fruit became lunch.

We offered the food WITH the bottle. (I drink with my meals....)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I highly doubt putting a scoop of oatmeal in an 8 ounce bottle is "bogging her digestive system". Babies wake up in the middle of the night when they're hungry, wet, or uncomfortable. So if she goes to bed full, she wont wake at 3am to eat again.

I get attacked every time I answer this god damn question, wtf??
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 4:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i gave it in a bottle around 8-10 weeks and bam! she was sleeping almost 10 hours. it keeps them full so they are not as hungry BUT at 8 weeks my little one was eating 6oz every 4 hours so i knew it would help her
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 4:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• 6 months, mixed with some veggies or fruit. Usually as a snack in between nursing sessions & not with every meal as it did bind him up at times.
    Anonymous

• ALWAYS after a breast or bottle feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Didn't use cereal, except for my parakeet when she was sick. Mashed banana, given AFTER nursing and a few hours before bed. We found that solids before bed were an invitationt o hourly wakeups.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009