Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who in their right mind..

would pay $120.00 an hour for someone to their taxes?! My hubby decides to use his boss's accountant to do ours this year since he just started a home business and at first my hubby told me it was $120.00. I was like great, it's better than 170.00-200.00 at H&R Block. Then hubby calls to tell me what we are getting back and that it's per hour!! WTF? I NEVER would have agreed to it. He swears up and down he told me. No the hell you didn't because it would have been a big FAT NO!


Asked by Christine0813 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 27 (29,705 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • That's a reasonable rate. It's also probably the average rate at the firm. My firm is up there, but we don't do simple returns. We do alot more than just type the numbers in. I would recommend letting the professional handle it all this year. Then next year, follow what they did. That way you have a good idea of deductions and just a better familiairity with the forms needed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • Oh hell no that is crazy I would be pissed tooangry


    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • Dang that makes me wish I knew how to do taxes. That's insane.

    Answer by Juggalette0327 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009


    Answer by TSSN88 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • Thank you! My hubby said he was going to mail it back to us so we can send it off. WHAT? For $120.00 an hour he can't do that or E-file? I told him to pick it up and I will figure it out myself on taxact!


    Answer by Christine0813 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • Yo can do your taxes yourself online or buy the software. If you dont want to do that you can find someone who is cheaper than 120.00 an hour. I paid 70 for federal, state, and city to get done. I would have done them myself, but I want a professional to do it just in case something goes wrong. I can go back to them and have them fix the issue instead of dealing with the government on my own!

    Answer by MizzNicole at 5:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • We have filed our own taxes on for the past 10 years and have always done well with it. It is very simple and can even help you figure out more complicated deductions. I don't like to pay people to do it for me.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 6:19 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • If this is because of your hubby's business then he can pay for it out of his business account, and it will be a tax write off next year.
    Depending on the type of business... the tax returns can get really hairy especially if there are alot of assets to depreciate and employees and things like that. The tax preparer should be a CPA if it cost that much. In the long run it could save you from a VERY costly audit.

    Answer by Granna2006 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • You could have gone to H&R Block for all of that and like you said it would have been cheaper. That is insanity. I would be uberpissed,

    Answer by micrespo at 7:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • He is a CPA and we have no employees. We just have a snowplowing biz.


    Answer by Christine0813 at 8:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2009