I haven't had a vehicle in 7 years

We finally saved up enought money for a down payment. 3000 dollars is in the bank. My husband wants to use it to buy a 2005 car that is broke down and has a lot of miles on it. It hasn't ran in 3 years and the neighbors don't know what's wrong with it. He keeps saying, " it's probably a fuel pump."

I need a car that runs. He seriously is insisting on buying this broke down junk. Btw, we have to pay for it to be towed 94 miles to our house. We haven't even seen this car. He won't listen or reason with me.

How do I get him to stop and realize this is bad!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Relationships

• Insist that the car be seen by a certified mechanic before the money is exchanged

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• He's not going to do that. Am I wrong for thinking this is dumb?? I am going to show him this post. I'm at my wits end.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• You're going to end up with a money pit on your hands. He's going to be putting money into repairs and it'll sit in the driveway.
    If my husband went ahead and bought a car without my approval,he'd be living in it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• stand your ground!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Just buy a $3000 car and don't go into debt over it, by the time all the repairs are made, you might be in big trouble, there are lots of good cars for about $3000.
    I might be tempted to just go buy yourself a car without him.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:36 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• If my husband went ahead and bought a car without my approval,he'd be living in it. Answer by butterflyblue19

AMEN!

I would be tempted to go remove the $3000 and put it in a seperate account with only my name until we came to an agreement.  Why pay $3000 for a car that doesn't work and can't get you places?  You can do that for free like you have been for 7 years.  

Has he thought about the possibility (read: probability) that it isn't something simple and that he will end up spending far more to fix it than he has to even purchase it? 

I used to be a service adviser for a repair facility.  Do you know what people would tell me when I gave them estimates for repairs?  and I quote "I think I will hold off on those repairs, I'M SELLING THE CAR."  People sell their problems to others.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:51 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• We buy nothing but used cars, and we've never gotten a bad one. However, the only way to do that is to have every car you consider buying checked out completely by a reputable mechanic. So, my advice to your husband would be to ask permission of the owner to have the car checked out by someone in whom he has complete confidence. If the owner won't agree to that, then there is no chance of a deal. If he will agree to that, then you go with what your trusted mechanic advises you to do about the car. I stress that the person has to be someone you choose and someone that you know will tell you the absolute truth about the vehicle. If your husband insists on buying this one sight unseen, then tell him he has to drive it and you are taking his car!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:14 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Yikes! A fuel pump can wind up costing you substantially more than you pay. I bought a Nissan Pathfinder after my divorce. Come to find out, that particular vehicle had a problem with the fuel pumps and no matter how much I put into it, it still would be more than I paid, with no guarantees of it ever working correctly. Make sure you do some calling around to various places to find out about the car and the costs involved.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Even if the initial problem was "just the fuel pump", after sitting for 3 years, it's likely to have other problems by now.

If he's willing to have a mechanic look at it, and agree not to buy it if the mechanic says it's not worth it, then I'd be willing to look at it. But otherwise, I wouldn't.

I've always bought used cars, but my dad has always gone with me (he's been a mechanic before) to look at them, and I only buy cars that I know run, after my dad has looked them over, checked everything thoroughly and we've taken it for a test drive. I would strongly suggest you two do the same.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:38 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Your husband is being stupid. Sounds like this will be YOUR car. Buy one that works please.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2013