Happy 40th B-day Cell phones!

The cellphone turned 40 years old on Wednesday and it all started back in 1973 when an inventor with Motorola made the first public mobile phone call.

Mobile phones first became available to the public in the early 1980s and cost nearly $400 up front, with a contract on top of that— hardly a bargain today. Still, these gigantic mobile phones were the hottest technology.

"It's crazy to see how far it's come," said Blake Thomason, of CellPhone Repair in Midvale.

Thomason and his team have seen their share of technological advances.

In 1973 inventor Martin Cooper, working for Motorola, made the first public mobile phone call in a press conference. This technology so common now, it's just about killed the payphone. Though if you look hard enough, you can still find a working one.

How long have you had a cell phone? For me it's been 10 years since I've had my first cell phone and haven't gone without one since. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I've had cell phones for over 20 years, but I remember my old boss having his old cell phone and it looked like this:

Can you imagine carrying that giant thing around everywhere? I am guessing the draw off of your car battery would be ridiculous.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:19 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I didn't have one until they were small enough for your pocket but my husband had a "bag phone" like the one pictured in the early 90s!

Answer by missanc at 11:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• LOL! I had the one pictured above in my car! I got better reception then I do now with my iphone. But analog is no loner available. I think it's already been phased out.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I got a cell phone about fifteen years ago, but it was just to use for emergencies if I was out by myself or with my ill husband. Which is how I still view it--I never became part of the generation that always has to have a phone within reach if not glued to the ear.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2013