Sad... my work from home opportunity didnt work out :(

on the first day of training, which was to be from 230-730pm, i had to basically neglect my kids and lock myself in the computer room so i could have some silence and concentrate at the webinar. my mom came around 4, but when i had a small break she said she had things to do the rest of the week and wouldnt be able to come over and help. so i was left with 2 options- work anyway and just let them do whatever they want while i neglect them from the computer room (they're babies too, not old enough to be unsupervised for 5 hours) or quit. i thought about daycare but it would be 390 a week and i wouldnt even make that much since its part time. le sigh... :( how did you other mamas that said you work from home do it?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Money & Work

• I'm able to do it for 2 reasons: 1. My kids are older and capable of entertaining themselves for periods of time. And 2. My career (author) is very solitary, so I can do it whenever. I don't have to go to training, answer calls or deal with other people in general, so I can do it whenever, whether that's during the day while my kids are awake, or at night after they're in bed. The only exception to that is when I sometimes need to interview someone to learn about a job or something for a character or scene, and even those, I can do by email or schedule them at a time that works for me.

Working from home is definitely not easy. People like to make it sound that way, and to someone who doesn't, it looks like it is. But it's more difficult than you think. I hope you find something else that works for you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Maybe you could find another opp. doing something wfh after the kiddos are in bed... I feel for you, it's never easy juggling kids, especially babies & anything in the house.. GL!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 12:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• How about a homeschooled high schooler to watch them? Teens will usually work for cheap, and you'll be there for emergencies.

Answer by missanc at 6:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I know how you feel. I had a wah opportunity through Arise a few years ago and I also had to quit during training week because of similar situations. Have you considered getting a babysitter for during  your training and then work in the late evenings or during nap times?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Sorry. I find it hard to believe you thought you could do something requiring your attention while you have two babies to take care of.

Takes me 3 tries to do the dishes. Work for 5 hours? No.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• three babies to take care of actually. i wasnt sure but i didnt want to turn down the job offer either so i wanted to try and make it work. on the first day i realized i couldnt :(
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• So sorry this one didn't work out. That's not to say you won't find another opportunity later on. Maybe when the kids are a little bigger or in preschool. I know that sucks if you need $$ now. Maybe you can earn $ another way by doing dog walking/ pet sitting, cleaning or running errands for the home-bound, or home health aide type stuff, or even babysitting in your own home. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• It always sounds like a great opportunity, but I am glad you saw it for what it really is. It's not easy. In fact, personally, I find it even harder than working at an office somewhere. No noise... that means, no dogs, no kids, no phones.. etc. Also, when you are at home, people tend to think you're not busy and always want something. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• The only tip I can give you here is special toys. These are toys that the kids ONLY get to play with while you are on the phone. When you're done with work, the toys go away until the next time you work.
    Babies probably are not conducive to this type of work.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Sorry it didn't work out. Working from home is hard because when you're there, the household thinks you're available. When you set your own hours, people think that means you can drop everything for them. I do a lot of my work when my daughter is in school or in bed for the night. Sometimes I've hired a helper rather than a babysitter, which means someone to entertain my daughter while I'm still at home and can respond if there's an emergency. It costs less, and the person doesn't have to be fully capable of handling everything, as a sitter would if I left the house altogether.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2013