What would blood in the digestive tract look like?

My daughter is 2 months old, has a milk allergy and takes Axid for reflux and drinks Alumentum formula. I started her on cereal because she was eating 6 oz every 3 oz and this seemed to help but now she has started having thick tar like black stools once a day and thats the only BM she will have.

singlemom4God

Asked by singlemom4God at 4:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Your pediatrician can "guiac the stool" and tell you if is Heme positive. Black Tarry stools can be from a GI bleed or from IRON (formula is usually fortified with iron) add that to the iron in the multivits I"m sure your doc has the baby on and tada black poopy :) Alumentum is one of the poorest forms of nutrition a baby can receive. Have you tried Nutramagen? Next time breastfeed it's soo much easier... My little girl was pre mature and had GI issues , pyloric stenosis GERD! What a nightmare.. I"m glad it's all over... usually between 9 months and 11 months it resolves.

MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• As far as I know you are correct black tarry stools are sign of blood in the digestive tract.

Did you check to make sure the cereal itself does not contain any milk proteins. Casein, whey or any other words that also mean a "milk" ingredient.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 5:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• One more thing why are you feeding her cereal already at 2 months ? I would wait since she is already having digestive issues, unless you have discussed this with her doctor.

Also if she has a milk allergy you could be increasing her chances of other food allergies by feeding her wheat so early etc..

Quoted...
    "Before four months, your baby’s digestive system is not mature enough to handle solids. Your baby’s tongue will push out any foreign substances like food; this is called the tongue reflex, and it protects young babies from choking on foreign bodies. The intestines lack important enzymes necessary for digestion. Certain foods are difficult for the digestive system to cope with; giving solids before four months of age leads to a higher risk of food allergies and intolerance. Also, starting your baby on solid food before age four months can lead to less frequent breastfeeding and a decreased milk supply. "
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 5:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It depends on where the blood is coming from. Higher up in the digestive track (the stomach and upper small intestine), the blood has enough time to be digested and the poop will be black. Lower down in the system (the large intestine), the blood will probably be red.

Everything I have ever seen says the black tarry poop needs to be checked ASAP. I'd stop the cereal - especially since she is so young, has known digestive troubles, and you started without clearing it with your doctor. Make an appointment and get her seen. When you make the appointment, be sure to mention that her poop has been black and tarry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• no the blood in her stool would only be red if it's fresh like from an anal tear. If it comes out farther up the digestive tract it would be black as in old blood. Not sure if it would make it tarry. But the color to me would cause me to ring up the doctor or a nurse's line and ask questions. My daughter has GERD and was on meds and never had black stool. Not to worry you mom but I'd call and either talk with her doctor or make an appointment.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• There is also the possibility that the cereal is iron-fortified and the extra iron could cause the stools to turn black, but even so, I would be ringing the doc ASAP just to be safe 'cause a baby that young shouldn't be getting cereals just yet due to digestive imaturity.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i asked while waiting on aour dr. to call back and until WIC lets us get any type formula i'm stcuk with what i get...i'm a single mom wihtout a job currently and have to rely on what the goverment is able to give. i started her on cereal because she was eating so much at each feeding and still wanting more within an hour or so...my oldest daughter started @ 2 months and has no known food allergies though is lactose intolerant like me. i breastfed my oldest for 2 month when we realized i just was not producing enough milk, dried up in less than a week after deciding along with my dr. to stop feeding. With my youngest we learned quickly she was allergic to milk (which she can get even when breastfeeding) thanks for all the advice and i have stopped cereal until we go to dr this afternoon. ill let everyone know whats up...
    singlemom4God

Answer by singlemom4God at 11:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2009