Speaking of the hunger games, question about mockingjay (the last book, spoiler alert)

maybe i missed it or got confused, but i didnt really get why katniss killed coin and not snow. i understood that she wanted to put an end to the violent bloody games, but it was under snow's orders to torture peeta, kill cinna and everyone else, it was because of snow that her life went to shit after she was selected for the first hunger games. so can anyone help me understand that? its bothering me a little that i cant figure it out. i also wish the author had elaborated a bit more about peeta finally coming back to her emotionally, but oh well.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Entertainment

• She goes through the thought process in her head - Prim wasn't a doctor, was still in training to be a medic, had neither the age nor the experience to be deployed to the field at all, let alone to the front line, plus Coin wanted Katniss dead because she needed a martyr, not a voice. Prim gives her a new martyr and lets her kill Katniss off quietly or make her look like a suicide.

As for 3 books making Snow look like a douche, I don't think Coin was ever written any differently. It just took less time to show her as a monster.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Cause it was coin who killed her sister. She was actually the bigger monster.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• but was it coin's intent to kill her sister or did that happen by accident because she just happened to be there? i guess it couldnt really have happened by accident because coin would've had to authorize prim to go along with the medics and then detonate the rest of the bombs when they arrived, right?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I think she realized that coin was actually the bigger monster and nothing would actually change under her rule. 'They' all wanted change, and they thought that was what was happening, but they were still going to be ruled by a 'heavy hand', even if it had a different 'face'. Hope that makes sense.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• it's been over a year since I last read them, I think I need a refresher! I don't really remember why
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• i can see how coin could be the bigger monster. but 3 books dedicated to making snow look like a complete and total douche... and when she finally gets her chance to kill him she doesn't (thankfully he dies anyway) i guess thats where im like... wtf!?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Snow was really no longer a threat. The threat was Coin at that point, and she realized that in order to really make a change, she would have to get rid of the biggest threat to true peace. She thought about Snow and what he'd told her, and realized that Prim had been put on the front lines by someone very high up in the ranks because they would have been the one to authorize someone so young being there. She realized it had to be Coin who put Prim out there and who essentially used both Katniss and Prim to forward her agenda. I guess it shows grown on her part in that she can sacrifice doing what she really wants to do (kill Snow) for the "greater good" so to speak.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Coin intentionally killed Prim and made it look like Snow did it because she was losing control of Katniss. She thought that, if Katniss though Snow was responsible for Prim's death, it would put her back under her thumb.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Answer by Cowgirl_Coyote at 9:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2013