DIDN'T KNOW MY PRE-PREGNANCY WEIGHT

I didnt know my pre pregnancy weight and had my first appointment at 11-12 wks and my first weight check. Then I went to a different doctor at 14 wks and since then I've supposedly gained 28 lbs and my doctor is concerned. I am just turning 19 so my body is also at that maturing age where it naturally gains weight to form a more feminine figure. Should I really watch what I weigh and be concerned that i may have to get a cisciarian or am i ok?

dd898f

Asked by dd898f at 3:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Pregnancy

• So you gained 28 lbs from one doctor's measurement to another,or from your guess of your pre baby weight until now?
    If you gained 28 lbs in 2 weeks,you have a problem there!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I gained 28 lbs from week 14 to the end of week 27. And as i can remember my weight at 11 weeks was 155 or 150 lbs and i now weigh 178.
    dd898f

Comment by dd898f (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Why can't you call the first Dr. you went to & ask. Have you has a Glucose test done yet. That's what they will probably recommend. You may need to see a Nutritionist too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Well, I'm not sure how far you are right now, but normal weight gain for a healthy-weight woman is 25-35 lbs total. If you are anywhere close to the end, 28 lbs is perfectly normal. And keep in mind that no one's weight gain goes exactly according to the books and a few lbs over won't be the end of the world. And you can call the first doc and ask for your records so see what you weighed at the 11-12 week point. That should help.

A better question is: are you eating healthy and getting any exercise? I'd recommend just focusing on those things, and then letting your body do what it needs to do to grow a healthy baby. Eat lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein, dairy, whole grains, water, etc. Treats and junk is okay, but in moderation! And just cut back on that if you're gaining too much weight. Exercise is also really important. Just move: walk, run, swim, weights, whatever you enjoy.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• With 13 weeks to go,you're nearing what you should gain the WHOLE pregnancy
    A pound a week is not what the doc wants you to gain,and as the baby gets well into the last trimester,it gains weight quickly.
    25 lbs is ideal
    Have you had your diabetes test yet?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I'm not sure who told you that at 19 you naturally gain weight to assume a more feminine figure. Whoever told you that may have been trying to make you feel better about weight you were gaining. You don't gain weight to form a more feminine figure. At puberty and through you teenage- maybe early 20s your bone structure shifts and changes - wider hips, bigger breasts, your face bones shift and mature, etc, and the only weight gain associated with that is from the acquisition of larger breasts or through height growth spurts. After that, it's on you if you put on weight.
    And yes, weight is important in pregnancy. You need to gain some (you are growing a baby and placenta), but you don't want to gain too much. Too much weight gain to indicate an underlying medical problem or can effect the health of your baby.

daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• For everyone reading this i am at the end of my 27th week and will be on my 28th week in 3 days. my first visit with my other docotrs they threw away the records and their estamate of what i weighed was 145-148 lbs and at that time i was still highly active and hadnt noticed any weight gain from my pregnancy
    dd898f

Comment by dd898f (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I had my glucose test today actually and my OBGYN was the one who told me about the added weight for maturity
    dd898f

Comment by dd898f (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I would find a new doctor! You don't gain weight at 19 due to maturity. You gain weight at 50 due to maturity (loss of hormones and slowing metabolism)
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Unless you just went into puberty a year or 2 ago,no you're not adding "maturity" weight

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2013