Healthy eating while pregnant!?

I just found out I'm pregnant and I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Here lately I haven't been eating too well and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for healthy things to eat while pregnant?

Is it necessary to consume a few more calories now or can I get by with my normal amount?
What foods should I avoid?
What foods are best for me and baby?
How do I avoid lots of sodium?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Not sure why I posted anonymously lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Hope this helps everyone is different. I didn't follow a strict "I CANT HAVE THIS" routine and have 2 healthy kids. :D I mainly focused on staying away from greasy foods and fish or anything raw. Heres a link tho.

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-body/nutrition/what-not-to-eat-when-pregnant/
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 3:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Because you don't want me to know who's pregnant around here!! So many ANON preggos, no one goes under their screen name!

Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Eat lots of produce. Stay away from processed foods.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• During my first 3 months while I was pregnant I hardly ate. The morning sickness kicked my butt. While i was at work, i always brought fruit cups, yogurt, or cheerios to snack on. I wasn't perfect 100% of the time. You are going to want foods that may not be healthy. Don't believe the saying you are eating for 2. My friend gained 60 pounds while she was pregnant because "she was eating for 2". Try to make healthy choices and eat when you are hungry.

Congrats on the baby
    fumbles420

Answer by fumbles420 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Eat various products, in any case don t limit your desire to eat, even if it will be growing every minute
    Follow proverb which says "Five vegs a day keep doctor away". Oh, how much I want to be in your place!
    Want-to-be-mom

Answer by Want-to-be-mom at 3:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• You need about three hundred extra calories in a day when you are pregnant, which isn't a lot. Definitely don't eat for two. Whole grains, fruits and veggies, and low-fat proteins are best, just like when you're not pregnant, but it's sometimes anything you can stand the smell of and keep down. You might have more trouble tolerating fatty or greasy foods than normal. I did, but it was because my gallbladder went bad when I was pregnant.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I didn't completely eliminate anything except alcohol. I limited caffeine but never drank that much anyway. I ate a ton of grilled chicken, veggies, eggs, fruit, etc. Yes, you need a few more calories but you need to make those calories count!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2013