Vaccines and family

If you were pregnant would you be around an unvaxed toddler in your family? Would you have your newborn around the toddler? Wait until baby was older?

Please be civil everyone has their own opinions about vaccines. How do you deal with differences in the family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Please explain to me the harms of an un-vaccinated child. I still do not understand. It does not mean they have a contagious disease.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• If I were pregnant would I be around an unvaxed toddler? YES. The unvaxed toddler is not a diseased human being.
    Would I have by newborn around said toddler? YES. Who would this toddler get sick from?

How do you deal with differences in the family? Easy. Treat everyone with love. No one is a diseased mutant.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• There are viruses that there are no vaccinations for so it doesn't really matter. If the kid has whooping cough or the chicken pox, it's very evident & you can just stay away. There is Fifths Disease that there is no vaccination for. So if the child is sick you can usually see it. I would not have an issue with an unvaxed kid. The unvaxed kid is the one in more danger than you or your infant. You could get the flu & have complications & you can get it at the grocery store or the mall.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• It's also possible that the vaccinations you had as a kid are no longer effective today & you need booster shots. So you may technically be as unvaxed as the unvaxed kid.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I wonder if you guys are in the minority. Seems like so much fear surrounding vaccines. What about the risk of measles to the unborn baby during pregnancy? I have read you are contagious before the rash appears.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Or, what about someone who is asympomatic?

Pertussis is scary to me (as many have heard me say before) and it's a very real threat to a newborn.

Many don't remember what it was like before vaccines. I remember polio, I remember whooping cough. Do I think we may have too many vaccines today? Possibly. But I wouldn't risk exposing my newborn
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• "It does not mean they have a contagious disease."

It doesn't mean they don't either. What if a child develops measles which may not present immediately but still be very contagious? That child loves on his aunt who is in her first trimester. She doesn't have immunity (lets just say, for the sake of argument). She develops measles and her unborn child is harmed significantly.

And lest you say that most of us DO have an immunity, it's because we were vaccinated. As fewer and fewer people vaccinate, that herd immunity dwindles and it doesn't take much time to happen
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• If your vaccines are up to date your baby will be fine because s/he's protected by your immune system.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:44 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Wouldn't be worried about it either way. Heck, mine got chicken pox from the vaccine! (Three percent of kids do.)

If YOU have had these diseases or were immunized, then baby is shielded. And if the unvaxed child doesn't have one of these diseases at the moment, that child is not a danger. The danger is when an unvaxed child has the disease and is around an unvaxed adult more than around an unvaxed child. Most of these childhood diseases are no big deal for kids but are a HUGE deal for adults.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Yes I would be around them. You can still get the stuff we are vaccinated against. I am choosing to vaccinate my two month old child at a slower pace than recommended because my ten year has autism and I strongly believe it's from to many shots at to young an age. However that is my choice. You have go with what makes you comfortable.
    Worrywart01

Answer by Worrywart01 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2013