When should I start puting my baby on the high chair?

My baby is 6 month old. can he sit on the high chair?

Proud2bJmom

Asked by Proud2bJmom at 4:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he can sit up with some assistince then he can sit in his high chair. im sure he is going to be starting food here if he hasnt already and you want him to be sitting up when feeding him cereal.
    Anonymous

• I would say when he/she can sit up by himself/herself.
    mylittlemonkee

Answer by mylittlemonkee at 4:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yes he can! I put my daughter in it at 4 months while we were eating and then by 6 months she was able to be eating cheerios and such so she got to eat when we did. It also helped her to learn to sit by herself early! she was sitting by herself by 4 1/2 months! that is like a 6 month mile stone!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 4:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• put him in the high chair and see what happens. There are straps to hold him in. It's not rocket science here! :)
    Anonymous

• babies -can- sit up by themself very early. BUT they are not suppose to, until they are at least 10months old. It causes too much pressure on their weak spine before 10months.

We waited until our DD was around 11 months old.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• you didn't put her in the high chair till she was 11 months old? Jeez cheez, and my son was WALKING at 8 months....
    Anonymous

• Exactly. Because our pediatrician and the orthopedist told us how extremely bad it is for the babys spine. Might want to read about it.

Ok, your baby was walking at 8months. WOOHOOOOOOO... who cares?! sitting a baby in the high chair has nothing to do with when they start walking ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• if you have a high chair where the pressure isnt on the spine the whole time from sitting up straight, then thats something totally different. but sitting up straight with the pressure on the spine can cause some serious problems. my english isnt good enough to explain that stuff, because our ped and orthopedist told me all these things in german. so please just read about it somewhere on google.

we had a highchair where the baby could lay back a little, but we had a special feeding chair for her, so we didnt need the high chair until she could actually sit up straight ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• When your child can sit up unassisted then they can sit in the high chair. My daughter was 4 months and sitting up by herself so we put her in it. My son was 6 months old when he could sit up unassited and thats when we put him in it. It all depends on the child.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 7:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009