My 5 year old daughter has breast buds!? Help please.

I took my daughter to the dr yeasterday because she said her "boobs" hurt. When i looked she actually had swollen breasts. I took her to the doctor immediatly and they drew blood to test her hormones and other things. They also took an xray of her hand and wrist to test her bone age. She has an ultra sound scheduled next week to look at her ovaries. Im worried sick. Does anyone have any experience with this or know why this is happening? Thank You.

3girlys

Asked by 3girlys at 3:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I wouldn't really worry until you get answers. My dd was 5 when she started and by 12 was pretty blessed up front. Today she's 30 and has 2 children with no problems so please don't borrow any worry. If you do it will feed itself over to your dd and cause her to worry and if it should come back that she's just very early developing she could think it's something to be ashamed of. There are just some children who mature much sooner then others. On the other hand her older sister was flat as a board until she turned 17 and in just a few months went from barely there to DD's!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I had a friend whose daughter had extremely early puberty. She went to a special clinic for tests every year till she was a teenager just to keep tabs on it, but she had no long term health problems at all because of it. The doctor suspected the growth hormones in milk but couldn't prove that for sure.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Bump for update! What ended up happening with the results?
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:01 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Did the doctor mention what they were looking for? Precocious Puberty is rare but not unheard of and is certainly manageable.
    Anonymous

• Uh oh
    my midwife's daughter went into puberty at 6,and by 19 was in menopause due to a tumor on her pituitary gland
    I hope your daughter does not have this issue
    Hugs!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• They were going to check her ovaries for a tumor.
    3girlys

Comment by 3girlys (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• holy....i didnt see the second comment until i just posted. Im just worried sick already :(
    3girlys

Comment by 3girlys (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• i have to wait a week to find out her results of the blood work and xray yesterdasy and then next week is her ultrasound. I dont know how im going to wait this long. Its really frustrating.
    3girlys

Comment by 3girlys (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• is she chubby? It isn't uncommon for girls and boys to have "breasts" at that age if they are overweight.
    I would think if she had early onset puberty, you would have noticed, hair under her arms, pubic region and so forth.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• No she is not overweight at all. She is actually in the 25th percentile for weight and height.
    3girlys

Comment by 3girlys (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2013