Criticism of Islam Is Not ‘Islamophobia’

Criticizing the Qu'ran doesn’t mean you hate Muslims just as arguing the legitimacy of the Bible doesn’t mean you hate Christians. Those critiques must continue even if religious people take them the wrong way.

~Nathan Lean

I have noticed that Islam is not debated a lot here. Is that because there aren't a lot of Muslims willing to debate or perhaps we just don't know enough about it to formulate a debate or could it be we actually have a speckle of fear deep down when questioning a Muslim about their beliefs? I don't blame anyone for having some fear- I mean looking around the world, anyone who dares to question it or even make fun of it may spark a mass killing, uprising or war.

The few Muslims I HAVE debated here seemed very educated about their beliefs but even then, when faced with historical, scientific and archeological facts that contradict what they've been taught they, like some Christians, have the cookie cutter response prepared: 'Islam was the first, was corrupted and brought back by Muhammad' so, no matter what the actual evidence says, Islam was there from the begining and everything that makes no sense was because of corruption. In that way it's very dangerous thinking. How can you argue with someone who says that?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 3:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Discussing Islam with Muslims is different than debating with them.

Muslims believe in delivering the facts so when one wants to debate they usually have knowledge of the Quran, hadith, rulings and history.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• "Perhaps it's because they don't debate. It's their way only. Anything else is a good enough reason to fight, behead, maim, etc."

Or perhaps it is because of the ignorant generalizations and stereotypes
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• There are a few Muslims who openly participate here off and on, but they mostly stay in the CE&HT group. There's one who seems to be ashamed of being Muslim, because she frequently goes on the "atheists are so mean" bandwagon, but refuses to mention her own religion.

I can think of a few people, both Christian and Atheist, who are completely irrational about Islam, so once one of them show up, the conversation is going to be shut down.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• "I don't know enough about their beliefs honestly.
    Do they believe in Allah? How is this different than the christian god?
    What do they feel about Jesus?"

From what I understand - Allah is the Abrahamic God. They believe it is the same God, yet many Christians refuse to admit so. They believe that Jesus is the Messiah, will come again, was born of a virgin - they don't believe he IS God or is the literal son of God, or that he atoned for our sins. They believe he did not die on the cross, but was ascended into heaven with God.
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Now, on the other hand, those people I know personally who are Muslim seem to be good people. One is my daughters' pediatrician, and he and his wife (also a doctor) have taken excellent care of my children without prejudice. I can't fault them for their religion because it doesn't affect our lives. If they were to start threatening to kill Infidels, though, well, there'd be a problem . . .  In fact, my husband and I offered to act as escorts after 9/11 to help them go safely to their Mosque for worship.  I'll support a person's right to believe and worship as they choose, as long as those beliefs aren't imposed on me or my family, or causes harm to others - even if I personally find those beliefs to be ridiculous.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I do know a few, in groups, who have always been able to discuss and debate in depth (more than just "it says this, we're taught that"). Two or three specific Muslimahs come to mind. Here, though, conversation tends to be less respectful and more stereotypical than in the groups where those members were active. The times we have discussed Islam it has been made evident that people don't care about anything more than projecting their skewed prejudices. People shouldn't have to participate in that.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Sorry for the earlier comment. I had just read an article that wasn't real pretty regarding Islam and what some had done. I realize that not everyone is like the article I read and there are some wonderful people out there.

Sometimes I need to take a breath and not put 2 and 2 together and get 5.

So to all those ladies who might have read my comment and were offended I do want to apoligize to you and let you know I'm sorry.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• When I criticize Islam, it is for the same reasons I criticize Christianity - it's not that people hold the beliefs, but when those beliefs are imposed upon others or result in mistreatment of other humans that I take issue, and think it must be brought to light and debated.

Those who insist that their beliefs are for themselves alone, for their own peace of mind or personal betterment are not the ones I'd target with criticism.  We do see examples on an almost daily basis in the news about Muslims abusing women who've been raped, jailing or killing atheists for not being Muslim, and recently, I even read an article about a woman who was jailed for having a glass of wine with a married man, due to Sharia Law.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I do think, though, that there is a huge rift that impedes any discussion about Islam. Since 9/11, there are those who are afraid of all Muslims and see evil in all they do, and there are those who feel extremely protective and think that because of that negative attention that we should ignore any news about Islam, no matter how disturbing. I think we need balance. We need to discuss it so that it doesn't become untouchable and above scrutiny. That's dangerous.

jsbenkert

• My personal experience with Muslims I know is that they don't want to waste time debating with ignorance. A good number of people on CM and irl would rather insult and blame Islam the religion for atrocities mere humans committed under the guise of Islam, rather than intelligently discussing the beliefs themselves.

Also, many non-Abrahamic people here on CM are former Christians and therefore know the Bible and the religion well. Not many are former Muslims. It's more difficult to debate topics you are unfamiliar with.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2013