Did you ever think about the medicines we were given as kids?

I just remembered that the doctor would write prescriptions for cough syrup with codeine in it for me,starting when I was about 4!
No wonder I slept so much!
This was before Tylenol and Motrin too,so were were given baby aspirin. Remember those little orange pills?
I guess that explains my ulcer at 4,huh?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Health

• The scariest thing I heard of was from my MIL. She asked me if the doc had given me an Xray (can't even remember what was wrong with me - probably strep throat or something similar) and I said no because it wasn't necessary. She told me that my doc was worthless and that wen my DH was a child their family doc would do an Xray at EVERY SINGLE VISIT just to "make sure that everything was ok"! Can you believe that? A doctor was using an Xray machine in his office like a gadget! Can you imagine the amount of radiation that those kids were exposed to???
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• We didn't have money to go to the Dr's so we were given whiskey mixed with honey and usually coke. It knocked just about anything out of you. It worked great for teething as well. To this day I still can't stand the taste of it but if nothing over the counter is cutting it I will try a shot mixed with coke. Gag! but it does work.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• lol i was a recipient of the whiskey on the gums for teething. cant tell you if it worked or not but i can tell you it does NOT work for wisdom tooth pain in adulthood.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• im also hearing that a shot of cognac will kill the flu virus. its obviously not recommended for children, but perhaps back in those days it was.
    tnm786

• It wasn't a full shot or anything. Just a couple of drops mixed in with a teaspoon of honey and 1/2c of coke. Still not sure if it's the honey or the whiskey but it worked 99% of the time.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• When I was a kid & had a cold the Dr. would give us shots. I wonder what was in it! My Mom was big on Robitussin & Pepto bismol. So I usually puked pink LOL! I remember fevers so high that the walls looked like they were moving.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Mmm...orange Triaminic. The other colors were NASTY, but the orange (I think it was just a decongestant) was pretty good.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Kinda scary if you really think about all the stuff we took when kids uh??? :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I'll take the whiskey over the shots. I hate shots.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• My grandma was big on whiskey and honey.

And yet, here we all are, alive and reasonably healthy and mentally sound.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2013