For anyone who is a devout follower,science versus religion

When questions come up like homosexuality,does your mind instantly go to "my holy book says this,so it is the truth" or have you researched scientifically the reasons why someone would be gay? Does your mind close off to the possibility that maybe,just maybe,the bible is wrong? Or at the very least your church elders are interpreting it wrong?
Everytime someone says the bible says being gay is an abomination,or a sin,i just want to bang my head against the wall.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I think for some people....they've been spoon fed the idea that gays are lesser than themselves that it's a knee jerk reaction. There is no thought behind it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• So, I have chosen to take this stance: I am not gay therefore whether or not it is a sin is irrelevant to me. If someone else is gay it is not my place to judge them anyway. It is my place to be friendly to all people. To give everyone a chance and to fight for everyone to be treated fairly. So, yes, that mean supporting gay rights.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I think faith should be compatible with reality, and reality is often explained by science. I don't think it's EVER as easy as "the book says." Okay, this verse says this, but what did it MEAN? What's the context? What was the original language? We can't just open "the book" up and read it in some sort of vacuum, because it wasn't written in one. But, getting back on topic, lol, the "book" should always be read through what we are able to understand and apply to it - science included :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• My religion has no conflicts with science whatsoever.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• i consider myself Christian but def not devote. I have PLENTY of doubts about MANY MANY things the bible "says". I believe everyone is equal despite race, religion, sex, gender, whatever! Love is love and I dont see how God would be against that. and I feel people need to stop judging.. if your against it then thats your right.. but leave it to the big dog upstairs to do the judging lol
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 5:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I do not believe that science and God have to be exclusive. Design vs. evolution... why could it not have been designed to evolve? Big bang vs. God directed? Why could it not have been that the theory was God directed... when it comes to homosexuality... I have no horse in that race... I have a hard time believing it is a sin given the scientific research. I also know what the Bible says and I have read much about how the Bible was translated and re-translated... and I think anyone who has watched a film in direct translation could agree that some things just don't translate well. Not to mention that while I believe the Bible is God's chosen book... I do not believe it is free of imperfections. It was still written by man, even if it was inspired y God. The Book is there to point us in a good direction. It is guidelines more than rules in some sense-according to what *I* believe. con't.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• *PS. I really hope I worded all that right and I did not offend anyone*
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• The part of the bible that the aversion of homosexuality comes from is Leviticus which is basicly a long list of "rules" that many religions don't follow. It was originally written mostly in arameic and Hebrew. We only know 1/4 of all hebrew words in a language that is similar to english in that one word can have several meanings.

Also the context like mentioned above is huge as well. The passage could easily mean that a man should not lay with another man of lower standard because all women then were property and not equal citizens, therefore of a lower standard/ranking. So a man should not have sex with a man that has a lower ranking not necissarily just not have sex with a man period.

So no I don't have a problem with homosexuality even in biblical terms. On a more personal level I don't care what others do and it doesn't change my feeling about them as a person.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I realize that my religious teachings and studies are a foundation as are my scientific and worldy education. They all go into forming what I think and what I believe. I know that some of the priests that have been teachers were extremely wrong in some of the things they were teaching and were taught. Most I have fought and usually ended up chatting with the bishop or Archbishop as the case may be. Men are falible.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• The devote fundamentalists I know do not think the bible is wrong. Man's interpretation is definitely flawed, especially any scientific research trying to contradict it. Sites like answersingenesis.org are devoted to arguing why the bible is truth (largely because it says so in the bible).
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2013