Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

My 18 yr old took my car and debit card. WWYD?

My 18 yr old son, senior in high school, took my car this morning without asking , and then I couldn't find my debit card. I notice on my online bank acct that he must have taken it too and is charging several small amounts like fast food ( 2 X) and gas station ( 3 X) and other misc. adding up to about 60.00. He has stayed gone all day which is unusual. He has borrowed the car before for short visits to his friends and has usually asked first. But has taken it without asking and I told him to always ask. He has also taken my debit card out of my purse before and used it to buy cigarettes (maybe 5.00 at most) which I told him was very unacceptable and caused me to lose trust. I started hiding my purse just in case. I called and cancelled my card. I'm so mad I want to wring his neck . What would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (19)
  • Call in the car as stolen,and tell the officer he stole your debit as well

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

  • his ass would be grounded. yes he is legally an adult but while under my roof that shit wouldnt fly. No car privlegdes and no money. and tell him if he tries to pull a stunt like this again you wont hesitate to call the cops.

    Answer by nnh_mama at 5:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

  • If I could not get a hold of him and he was not getting his butt home pronto I would be calling the police to report the car as stolen.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 5:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

  • I would call the police, that is theft.

    Answer by funlovinlady at 5:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

  • Call the police... that is a crime. I don't care if he's your son or not, you'd call the police if anyone else did it. Same concept.

    Answer by m-avi at 5:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

  • I agree. Call the police and report the car as stolen and your debit card too.
    If you are serious about putting an end to this, that is the way to do it.

    Answer by daylily888 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

  • So their is no way of contacting him?   Have you ever told him you will call the  police on him if he does this stuff again? 

    I say wait. If you can call around to his friends if you can and leave messages with them. "Get your ass home".  If he does not come home by morning. Call the police.  He is an adult.  He needs to start acting like one.


    Answer by louise2 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

  • He has no cell phone? Is he not answering your calls? If my Son had no prior history of illegal doings, I'd just wait until he came home & that would be the end of him borrowing the car or my credit card. Are you sure he is OK? If he has a history of wrong doings & if he didn't come home tonight then I'd call the Police.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

  • Call the police.

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

  • Sorry, but I think I'd have to call the police. He's done it before and you clearly expressed to him that it was unacceptable to you, and he's still doing it. I'd report the car and the card as stolen.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 6:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.