Military Question

Can single mothers join the military as active duty, national guard, or reserve? 

Diamond2010

Asked by Diamond2010 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Money & Work

• Yes, but you have to give up (at least temporary custody) of your kid/s to someone else. At least that is what the army told my DD when she wanted to go in.

Answer by louise2 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I don't think so... not with out giving up guardianship... but I am not 100% on this...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• hmm i really dont know.. certain branches dont take people if they already have a certain number of dependants before enlisting.. also you need to be deployable so Im pretty sure you need to have people who would take the kids while your gone.. if they did allow you to join all of that would have to be cleared and im sure youd need some sort of waver
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 6:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• ^^ and when i say someone to take the kids while you leave i mean split custody or give up custody to those people.. you cant be fully tied down..
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 6:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• When did she join Louise2? The reason why I'm asking it to see if it's possible things have changed previously
    Diamond2010

Comment by Diamond2010 (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• She didn't join. She didn't want to give custody to us. It was a couple of years ago. Best way to find out about the rules is to talk to a recruiter.

Answer by louise2 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2013