sids

when do you usually not have to worry about sids anymore. at what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most SIDS cases occur between 1 month and 1 year. The health care professionals don't know what causes SIDS and that is a bad thing. I know someone that lost 4 babies to SIDS back in the '70s. Almost 2 yrs ago, I almost lost my ds to infant botulism. The symptoms are constipation, weak sucking, weak crying (You wouldn't be able to hear the baby cry if the door was closed.), the eyelids droop, they are unable to smile and, eventually, they have difficulty breathing. All of these symptoms vary as to their severity. Some cases are mild to moderate and then there are some that are severe enough a child will have to have help breathing. Anyway, back to the lady that lost 4 babies. All of them had the same symptoms as my son when he had infant botulism. Now, she knows what probably caused their deaths. The neurologists at the children's hospital debate whether some SIDS cases are actually infant botulism.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:49 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my doctor told me the chance greatly reduce during 9-12 months... and after 18 months the chance is completely gone.
    mylittlemonkee

Answer by mylittlemonkee at 5:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i think all together around 2 years. but you dont have to worry as much once your child can roll all the way. because if they are starving for air they can get their bodies to where they need to get air (meaning if their face is up against the bumper and they cant breath, they know to roll to get away from it)
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 5:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• well, the risk of SIDS is gone at 18 months. then you have to worry about SUDC.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 5:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• SIDS is the scariest thing in the world. :( I thought it was likw 9 - 12 months, but then I saw the movie "Falling Down" and the Detective the sad story of his daughter dying of SIDS at 2 1/2. So now I'm even more paranoid than I was.

Movies with kids getting hurt, kidnapped, killed, etc. are the WORST now that I'm a mommy!
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 5:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'm not sure when the risk is totally gone. I know of a child that died at 2 years old of SIDS. But I think those cases are SO SO rare it's really not something to worry about. I think by a year you are pretty safe!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It never goes away....when they get older it just gets a whole other name.

It could happen to you, to your husband, your parents could die from it...sudden unexplained death.

It's one of the reasons I decided to simply enjoy the boys and make them as happy and comfortable as I could....and just enjoy whatever time I had with them....there is absolutely NO reason to worry about something that cannot be prevented or stopped in my opinion...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2009