If your 4-5 year old was on the more gifted side.....

how did they do in kindergarten? Were they bored?? My son turns 5 in September so we're going to send him to kindergarten. He's very smart. He has been reading since the week he turned 3, he can add, subtract, knows all the continents, oceans, can name 30-40 countries and what continents they are on, knows all the planets, he can spell just about anything, etc. I'm just worried he's going to be so bored, he may not like it. How did your kids do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a friend whose son also had a Sept. birthday. They decided to red shirt him, but he was bored. So in the middle of the year he went to 1st grade. He was the youngest in the grade. And he was very young emotionally. He didn't really start to catch up with his classmates until 6th or 7th grade. And now in 9th, he is finally somewhat on par with the rest of his grade.

I would talk to the school and see what options they give you before you decide anything. Being the youngest is harder for boys than girls. My DD is the youngest in her grade and she is fine emotionally and academically but did need a little catching up. By the end of second grade you would have sworn she was one of the older girls.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• there is alot more to kindergarten than just being smart, you have to learn to get along well, follow structure, be in an enviroment with children more smart and less smart. You have to follow directions, learn when to eat, when to pee, when not to talk out loud. I would say he is an early bloomer, send him and then see what happens.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Homeschool him for the 13-14 school year,and sent him to 1st in 2014
    I think most states don't require them to be in school until they are 7

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I am in the same boat. DD did Pre-K this year and when they realized she was already doing the Pre-K stuff they started giving her the private kinder work. So she basically did Kinder this year... and next year has to go to kindergarten again since she was technically in pre-k this year. After talking to one of my sons teachers- with my support and involvement they move her to first grade after the first 8 weeks. If she shows she is mentally, socially and behaviorally ready.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• How could he not be bored he already knows everything and beyond. I agree talk with the school and see what they suggest, they may be able to test him and move him at least into the 1st grade.

My son is similar though not as advanced and will be started school in the fall because he missed the cut off for k last this year(born in late oct.). I'm forseeing the same problem, and if the school isn't willing to work with us on moving him or another solution, I'll be switching to homeschooling.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• DS's teacher made a curriculum just for him. He was his own reading and math group, but did all the other stuff (crafts, games, social studies, etc) with the rest of the class. It was a double edged sword. He wasn't bored in K, but he was in 1st, because the accelerated program doesn't start until 2nd. His 1st grade teacher knew he needed to be in it - it was her job to build his file to make the case that he should be in it. She was insisting he'd be a shoe in after the first quarter, but she didn't do what the other teacher did by giving him advanced work. It was a rough year, but he was better once he got in the program in 2nd.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• My now 7th grader was (and still is) a little bored at times, but he uses the extra time he has after he finishes his assignments to read. He has always helped his friends figure things out and I feel like learning how to help teach them has taught him patience and to view his intelligence as a gift not everyone has.
    Talk to the school and see what they are willing to do. My son went into upper grade level classrooms at times and one year was in an all AG (academically gifted) class, which was great for him but not something the school decided to continue.

Answer by missanc at 8:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I need to buy a globe! Your kid knows more than I do.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• That's pretty impressive for a four-year-old!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Thanks for all the answers! He has his kindergarten screening in June so I guess I can ask all the questions then. =)

My mom bought him an interactive globe and that's why he know so much! He also uses Google Earth all the time. I wish I had his memory....life would be much easier!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2013