Would you ever take a genetics test to find out if you're predisposed to getting something awful?

I'm not sure I'd want to know that I have genetic factors for Alzheimer's or cancer. Would you? What would be the point of worrying about something you MIGHT get?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Health

• That's a tough question. If something could be done to prevent the disease or treat it early, it would be good to know. But like Feral said, who would have access to the info? Health insurance companies? Prospective employers?

And then there's the issue of how the information would change your life. My ex husband has a rare form of Lou Gehrig's disease. He always said if he'd known he was going to be struck with the illness, he never would have married me. So would missing the pain of his long sickness have been worth missing the joy we had together? There's no way to know I guess.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Yes, absolutely. Early detection could save your life. My husband has nearly died twice from blood clots in his lungs, and found out he has a gene that puts him at risk for blood clots, but indirectly. We haven't found a direct cause yet, so on the 11th we're taking the kids for genetic testing. I have to know if my kids are at risk of dying from blood clots, so we can find a way to prevent it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• If there was something i could do to treat it early.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• If I was a genetic Jew or AA genetic testing may be considered. But only because of my kids. There are too many factors for me to consider it for informational reasons only.

And...
    Who would have access to that info, hmm?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• yes
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I'm not sure. That's like a double edged sword.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• When I was in my teens the Dr.s counseled me that since I have many of my fathers genetic markers that I was extreemly likely to get MS.
    This is simply not so. Every year for 11 years they told me he would not see the end of another year.
    At this point in time I think that it is rather foolish to worry about something that may or may not kill you or cripple you and that you can do absolutely nothing about.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Yes, with information there may be a solution or someway to maintain said illness.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• We have Huntingdon's in my mother's family. It starts affecting you between the ages of 35 and 55 (roughly). It is degenerative and there is no cure. I opted not to have the test (what is the point if there is no cure) but I also opted not to have children just in case - I didn't want to pass it on.

Now, the thing about Huntingdon's is that it's an unbroken line, so to speak. For a child to have it, the parent must have it. There are no "healthy carriers". When I found out at age 42 that I was pregnant I was OK abour it because my mother was 69 and did not have Huntingdon's so I was out of the woods. I also know that my daughters won't have it.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Since my great grandmother, and grandmother both died from breast cancer, and my mom had breast cancer, I would like to know if i will get breast cancer. If I can show a genetic disposition, I would get my breasts removed, and insurance would probably cover it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2013