Moving on?

How soon after breaking up in a serious relationship with two people who are living together how soon is it to get a new bf/gf?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2013 in Relationships

• There isn't a set time. I would assume that would be a very personal choice
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Not until you're sure your ex is in the past and you've healed or learned from the mistakes made it that relationship.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• Not till you're sure you aren't getting a new lover just so you don't have to face life alone.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I've heard it said that for every year you are with someone, it takes a month to get over them. I think it's true. So, if you were with that person for 5 yrs, I would say to wait at least 5 months before jumping into another relationship.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I don't know. I guess for myself it would be when I was ready to accept someone as they are and not compare them to the last thing I had. That wouldn't be fair to the new person. As soon as I felt I could just let them be them and me be me and see if it all works together, that would be when I knew it was time. If I was comparing things they did, the way they looked, things they say to the last person I was with then I would know I wasn't ready to move forward with my life. I would need more time to let go.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I think it is personal to every person. I would wait at least 6 months to a year. You need to be happy with yourself before you can be happy with someone else. Like QM said you also have to be able to let the past go.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I was with my ex for 7 years, & have been apart from him for 1- still single & not looking. I decided that until I don't harbor any bad feelings for him, I won't date. I don't want to screw with a new relationship that way. But it's whenever you feel ready.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I don't know. Sometimes a person will emotionally check out long before they will admit that the relationship has been dead for a while.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:38 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Whenever they feel like they are ready. Some people may have ended the previous relationship while still in it, so they are ready once its over, and some may have had a difficult breakup and may need more time.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 5, 2013