I prepare sandwiches and salads and sell them at salons, do you think this is a good idea?

i tried it once last week and it was a great experience. i went to salon owners to let them know i would be coming around saling salads, sandwiches and fruit cups. i just put everything in a cooler and went in and sold the food. ive always wanted to do this. i figure my catering business is not getting any business so why not try something else. if you have any ideas let me know. thanks moms.

some women dont feel like leaving the salon so i come and save the day with lunch :)

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I think it's a great idea. Maybe start seeing juices and/or water bottles as well.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• There used to be a lot of people that would do stuff like that where I used to work a long time ago (an auto repair facility). Sounds like the food is probably better than you can get on most roach coaches and when they get busy they would rather work the billable time than leave for lunch. So, yeah, auto shops, office buildings / office parks (if you can get permission from the property manager) are also good places to go.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• As long as you get the OK from the salon owners. Some don't want sales people in their places. Something like selling sandwiches seems a great idea. Maybe arrange with the owner that you'll give them a percentage of the sales.

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Be a bit cautious because the health dept may regulate something like this. As long as you are keeping it under the radar, or if you have already taken care of health dept regulations, then it may be OK.

Answer by Bmat at 9:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• what i did was pass out business cards/flyers weeks before i started saling the food.
    rosesrred1

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Uh,no
    I would not buy food from some lady with a cooler
    Do you have a license to sell food?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Selling the food, I would call and see if they have any "day of beauty" going on,maybe the clients would want lunch as well. Make sure you use only the freshest ingredients, and try to figure out your food cost, is sounds really great!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• what should i put the food in??? thats why i put this on cafemom. i do have a dba for my catering business, ive just never went driving around delivering food.
    rosesrred1

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Are you using this to drum up business for your catering business,or is this an off chute?
    I'm leery of eating food that I have no idea of how it was prepared or stored.
    It's like bake sales and kid's lemonade stands. You buy it because it's a good cause,but i don't eat it unless i personally know the person
    Are you licensed to cover your butt if someone got ill off your food?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• the health dept will be inspecting the church kitchen that i prepare food out of.
    rosesrred1

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2013