Do you remember being this narrow minded in your teens and 20's? Some of my musings this morning.

And if you are in your 20's,are you this way now?
I have FB friends that are from 19-65
I can't help but notice what they post on their newsfeed. The young ones post pics of food,silly romantic quotes,and songs
The older ones post stuff that is more family orientated,religious,and political orientated

My point is that IF your FB account reflected who you are,what you cared about,what does it say about you?
I've always cared about the environment,conservation, and social and racial equality
Is it typical for the young ones to not care about the world?
I don't remember the people my age having this extended adolescence where you are so self centered past the college years

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I have a few young ones on my FB that care about political issues, I do wonder how much they understand about them though (not that they don't, just wonder how they come to their opinions on certain issues).

I think I was probably not very socially or politically active when I was in my young 20's. That developed over time. I was more of a moderate liberal when I was younger, but my opinions about politics changed over my early to mid 20's. I started to see things differently.

I pretty much thought I was invincible like most older teens / early 20's young adults.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:50 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I'd cut the kids a break. Maybe, since posting political stuff can piss people off, they'd rather not use Facebook that way and keep their political views to themselves.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• On the other hand, a lot of people use the internet as something lighthearted and fun (Hello, Pinterest!) If I'm in a bad mood, I would rather find my news feed full of funny animal pics and repost those than rant about the awful stuff going on in the world.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• That's stuff that I mostly post. It says nothing about how I feel on certain issues, because I don't put it on there. I don't see FB as a political forum so I don't post about political stuff. It doesn't mean I am narrow minded or selfish. There are plenty of things I care about deeply and I do things for them, just not on FB. You can't say they are selfish or narrow minded just because they don't post about the causes they care about or their religious or political affiliations on FB. Some people just don't use it for that.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I agree and some of them probably don't know better and some of them probably don't care. I am just saying you can't judge that just based off a FB page. If you looked at my page you would think I was a sarcastic bitch, who only cared about her son, baseball and having fun on the weekends. :)
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• i post the same kinda things i did when i was 20 (and FB was only for college kids) and now at 28...pictures of my friends & family doing fun stuff, clips to videos i like, stuff about sports, and keeping in touch with old friends. i dont use FB to annoy ppl with my religious or political beliefs. i dont see that as narrow-minded or selfish. i know and care about the world...but i dont need everyone on FB seeing me care for it to "count".

ive only got a few young FB friends who use FB as a soap-box...but ive got lots of older friends (45+) who i've all but blocked b/c ALL they talk about is how wrong gay marriage is, how mandatory Bible & prayer would save us from school violence, how Obama is destroying the world, and how dumb young ppl are. THEY ARE ANNOYING and far from open minded. i dont need to see someone's beliefs plastered all over FB to know they care about the world.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I would say I was ignorant. Thankfully, I didn't have social media to post how narrow minded I was lol
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• There are 2 kinds of people in that age range on my fb - ones I know through school and communicate with for school stuff, and my older nieces/nephews/cousins. Aside from the usual slactivism like changing their fb icons to the red equality sign for a few days, none of them post anything political, with one exception, and he's directly impacted by the cause he promotes. For the most part, though, they're not party animals, either. One of the ones from school is prone to over-Instagraming nights out, but they're not drunken debauchery. The rest are mostly happy with vaguebooking their latest drama and expecting everyone to care.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I don't post anything religious or political on facebook. I NEVER post pics of food, quotes, or song lyrics. In fact the only thing I post about and it is rarely is family. The only other thing that shows up in my newsfeed is from games like Farmville.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I would probably be posting the same stuff as now. I would have posted many more pictures of my son. The one thing I do notice about the younger generation is that they will post about deaths of family members- even pictures of funerals! I'm glad Facebook wasn't around when my father died, although when bad stuff happens I tend to shut down and not share with the world. I'd never put up stuff like that...
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:31 PM on Apr. 5, 2013