Food storage

Trying to talk to my husband about buying and learning how to use food storage. I would like to have a modest food supply for catastrophes like a major earthquake,anything that would put us out I just want to be at peace knowing I can feed my family.
I know plenty of people who have a major food supply and could last a year or more,these people have big homes and can store that amount,they do it because it's smart,and food prices are rising everyday.
My husband says it's not meant to be eaten everyday,and that it all takes like shit. I think that it's meant to be eaten and that your suppose to rotate through and not let it go to waste.
So I was wondering what is the proper way to use food storage and also what should I start out buying,like what last a really long time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Well, we don't have a lot of storage space, but I do keep a 'modest' food supply for emergencies, and I do as you said, use it and rotate.

I keep canned foods like soups, tuna, chicken, broths, beans, veggies, fruits and juices. I also keep lots of dried beans, and baking supplies, although those items could be harder to use. I keep peanut butter and jelly. Anything that doesn't require refrigeration.

We definitely use it, it's normal food. We just rotate it through our menus, and restock when there are sales.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• do you ever use the ones from walmart? The cans are huge! I haven't bought them but have been eyeing them as of late and think I might buy them just not sure about the price.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Costco sells packs of food starting at about $300 for about a month supply, it is like astronaut food where you just add water, I have no idea how it tastes, but the idea if some kind of catastrophe hit, you would be able to live. It is a small package about the size of a suitcase, so storage shouldn't be that big of problem. You will also need bottled water.
    IMHO I doubt that you will ever need to use it, I think it is a good idea to have enough food to sustain you in case of a storm etc, , but doubt that "doomsday" is coming anytime soon, LOL!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I buy some giant cans of certain items at Smart & Final, but not so much for my food storage because leftovers won't keep. I do buy the large soups, they can be a meal. I guess I would say, I buy 'meal' size cans.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Your talking about an emergency kit, not food storage.
    Anonymous