Lawyers - character and fitness evaluation for bar admittance

What do state bars look for when they perform this evaluation? As someone with several mental illness diagnoses and hospitalizations, as well as poor credit, I'm wondering if I should abandon my dream of practicing law. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Money & Work

• My advice would be to ask someone who is in that profession.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:05 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Have you completed law school at this point?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• The biggest thing they look for is how you handle things like your mental illness and poor credit. Have you taken steps to fix them? If so, do you have proof? A dr's note for the m.i. & a statement from creditors showing regular payments to resolve the debts? They accept that mental illness & debts are a part of life, but they want to see that you're holding yourself accountable for your life.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Investigate your own credit report & your past (as in criminal history, vehicle violations etc,) as you would an opponent. Anything that pops up, take steps to fix. No need to give up on anything. There's really no place in law for a defeatist attitude.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Well unless you have completed law school, I wouldn't worry that much about it. If you have felonies, then you can't be a lawyer, as far as mental illness this would not be revealed at a bar exam. If your credit is poor, it takes 7 years for it to go away, but once again having poor credit isn't a crime.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:19 AM on Apr. 5, 2013