Is it really necessary to mix old food with the new stuff if you plan on changing dog food?

Ive changed our puppy's food a lot, mainly trying to find something healthy, that she also loves. And I have never mixed the new food with old food. Everyone tells me I need to mix it so it's an easier transition for the dog, but I never noticed any problems when we do switch. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Pets

• YES, some pets have a hard time all of a sudden switching to a new food and won't eat the new food.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• ive never even heard this. DH just pours the new stuff into the big self-feeder thing when the old is all gone. we change brands to whatever is on sale and his dog never has any issues.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Yes. Especially if you are changing their diets to a more healthy food. Healthier food is a little more difficult for them to adjust to because of the animal proteins it contain. I just switched my guy to Blue Buffalo. It took about a week to get him fully adjusted.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:24 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I never had, I think it is to help keep the dogs from having diarrhea and such, but my dogs ever seemed to have any problems.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• If you're lucky enough to have a dog who isn't sensitive to a change in foods, it's fine. But if your dog has a tender tummy or intestinal troubles, look out!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:16 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Yes esp will puppies unless you want loose "poo" all over.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• WITH not will. :)
    liss05

• Depends on the dog. Some have issues some don't. Our older one who just passed would get horrible diarrhea or constipation if we didn't mix if we switched, but our younger one is fine with it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2013