Has anyone ever had a child and the child's father forgot the childs birthday?

My daughter just had a birthday this week and her father never even called her to wish her a happy birthday. She was telling me that they use to have to write their birthdays down on a calendar so their father (my ex) would remember there birthdays. I was very upset that he didn't call her at least just to wish her a happy birthday. Her sister is next week, I am waiting to see if he call her. I felt very bad for my daughter

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• yeah, my oldest's dad hasn't been around for any of her 6, almost 7 birthdays so far. sadly enough he has it tattooed on his wrist so his excuse isn't that he forgets.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• LOL, my mother has always forgot my birthday! I'm right after Christmas followed two days later by my brother. She always remembers on my brother's birthday.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• what a fucking dick,
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• My daughter told me last night that her father told her that things were going to be different after the divorce, that he was going to start doing more with them and everything. She told me that he's an asshole, he's never changed. The girls invite him to their wrestling meets or concerts. He usually never comes. I am not sure who is more upset about the birthday wishes, my daughter or me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• im not divorced, but if i didnt set up a party, buy presents, make a cake, etc my kids wouldnt get a birthday. DH knows the general time of the year they were born, but i dont think he knows the dates...many people are bad with dates (its why they sell calendars/planners).

but it sounds more like this is not just about the forgotten birthday, but the constant not caring, not involved attitude of your ex. which really sucks for your girls. at least they are smart enough to see that hes an ass, and dont think its their fault. poor girls!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:59 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I would not talk bad about him to them. As time passes they will see the changes and may or may not understand but he is still their father, just has issues he needs to get rid of.

Make the best of her birthday, and all the other days your family celebrates together.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• My ex wouldn't be able to tell you either of my kids birthdays if you asked. What's worse, according to him when he filled out paperwork to take my kids off his insurance, I had my oldest (who is his) 3 months before we even met! lol I'm just glad my kids got their brains from my side of the family.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• How awful.
    ladybugmamax2

Answer by ladybugmamax2 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I'm more "iffy" with dates than my husband is (he remembers all sorts of significant dates, including birthdates/years for 9 grown nephews & nieces on his side, anniversaries of his 5 sibs, birthdays of his AND my sibs & parents, dates of particular Grateful Dead shows, lol) but both of us know our children's birthdays.

We just do.

I sometimes have to stop for a second & think about whether my husband's birthday is the 20th or the 22nd of Feb, but we both know our 3 children's birthdays.

I do think it's possible to love someone very much & inadvertently forget stuff like that (I'm scared I might let our anniversary--this Monday!--sneak up on me) but it sounds like a symptom of disconnect, overall.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I understand being upset, but with that being said, although my husband knows DD's birthday is February 2nd, that day could easily come and go and it wouldn't click for him that it is her birthday. Same with my birthday and our anniversary. If someone doesn't bring up to him that it's coming up or if he doesn't write it on his calendar at work, I would bet he'd pretty much miss every birthday, anniversary, holiday, etc. out there.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:14 AM on Apr. 6, 2013