Why do people thank god when good things happen but don't blame him when bad things happen?

For example, two people have cancer one dies and the other lives. people thank god for the one that lived but doesn't blame him for the one that died. No one ever thanks modern medicine or the doctors. The believe it's because of god this person lived. But when someone dies they blame modern medicine instead of god?

Can someone please explain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Religious Debate

• What do I know? I watch the games for entertainment, not spiritual guidance, but maybe I'm missing the bigger picture. But hey, little Jenny's grandmother died even after she prayed really, really hard, even at school. But Deion caught the ball! A homeless man died under a newspaper and people still threw money in his cup for three days. But Deion caught the ball! A 13-year-old was shot for wearing a blue jacket while he was visiting LA for Thanksgiving, but Deion caught the ball! Somewhere, a beautiful newborn babe is left in a trash-can manger, but Deion caught the ball! Last night in a Main Street back alley a condom broke and the only positive outcome will be the blood test, but Deion caught the ball! Deion caught the ball and won the game! How did he do that? I've never seen anything like it. My God, it's--a miracle.

November 21, 2003
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• What makes you say this? Many people blame God for things that happen and unanswered prayers.
    Many people thank doctors and the advance of medicine, and many people blame medicine or the doctors.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• We thank him for everything, good or bad.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• You can't SUE God

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I agree, PMS. I do get angry for things that suck or I can't explain, but I try to find a reason and learn from it. I thank him for certain people He has placed in my path & try to learn from the ones that are not so good.
    The good I just rejoice in, the bad I try to learn from. Although, sometimes, it takes longer to accept and I may blame HIM at first.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I thank him for good and bad. I learn from the bad things.
    I have blamed God for some things though.

I always thank the Drs and donate to causes to help modern medicine.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Because this is what true believers in God like me believe:

From the Bible, Ecclesiastes III (King James Version):

3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
    3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
    3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
    3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
    3:5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
    3:6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
    3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
    3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Football and what God has to do with it
    by Scott Woods

Deion, you caught the winning pass that won the game. How did you do it?

Well, Greg, it was just God's will. I just want to thank the Lord Jesus Christ, first and foremost, for the win, 'cause, you know, had it not been but for the grace of God, I don't know how the team would've pulled it off.

I don't care what Deion Sanders or Emmitt Smith or any of the hopped-up USDA-Grade-A-beef, ass-smacking, end-zone-moonwalking, double-digit-IQ athlete says after the big win, but I think God could care less about who won a football game.
    NotPanicking

• God cracks open the earth and swallows 100 Los Angelenos in an earthquake, but cares enough about a quarterback's shotgun pass to actually intervene? God floods the Earth for 40 days and nights, killing every manner of life that couldn't swim, but cares enough about the winning touchdown to make a blocker trip on his shoelaces. Shut up and play ball.

Dumping buckets of holy-water Gatorade on the coach after the big win, baptizing the blessings of their shepherd personified, kneeling to pray in the locker room for God to give them the strength to paralyze another human being again this week, and on the Sabbath no less.
    NotPanicking

• And what does all this say about the losing team? That they're evil? That they're helmet-clad, shoulder-padded knights in Satan's army, that they're coach is Beelzebub himself, that their scantily clad cheerleaders are hell spawn and phonic succubi whilst the scantily clad cheerleaders for the winning team are angelic cherubs bouncing nobly through the end zone?

And what about when the winning team loses the following week? Have they suddenly fallen out of favor with God? Did the quarterback not make it to Bible study that week? Did they forget what 10 percent of a million-dollar contract was or doesn't $100,000 fit into a collection plate? Or maybe it was the cocaine and hookers at the afterparty after the last sanctified win.
    NotPanicking