BRACES

I need advice about the braces issue on getting them, (figuring out a way) & for the disrespect issue (teen entitlement).
I got this txt from my 13 yo dd yesterday. : Omg you need to schudule an appointment for the orthodonist. I got my finger nail stuck between my teeth cause i was trying to get food out.

She says "I NEED TO". First of all what is she doing putting her fingernail in between her teeth & her fingernails are too short to get in between anyway... I told my husband what she sent me & it was so funny he said the same thing. I told her she needs to use dental floss. She said no way. I asked her this morning if she took some & put it in her back pack. She again said no, I'm not going to use dental floss. I told her that's been a problem for years, the dentist tells you to floss, we do also & you don't. You don't seem to care about your teeth so why are you worrying about braces. Her teeth are pretty perfect except one that didn't come down when the rest of them did & it's crooked but it's not in front. All the rest of her teeth are really straight. I wonder if a retainer would be cheaper, & I suppose a dentist can't do just one spot? Not enough money for them... I told her we take her to the dentist every 6 months & our dental insurance doesn't cover braces. I also told her even though she would get braces she would still get food stuck between her teeth. That's not what braces are for. I told her the cheapest we could get braces for would be $3,700 (our cost) She got snotty with me and would she rather have them or a car someday. I walked over to her and told her she needed to watch her mouth, walked away & spouted something else (always has to have the last word). I didn't say anything more. Spring fever, maybe... lol but not laughing really...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• You can get even short fingernails between your teet FYI. Not a good idea but you can.
    What does her dentist say? Or have you not approached the subject with him?
    Teeth affect great many things other than just eating. They affect digestion and tension all the way to self esteem.
    You are brushing off her concerns without giving her a serious listen. You are doing you all a disservice.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• If she's not willing to take proper care of her teeth now, it will be worse if she ever gets braces. You have to be meticulous about your teeth when you have braces. Talking to her dentist or having a consult w/ an orthodontist is you best bet about what she needs. It also sounds like she needs an attitude adjustment. " She got snotty with me and would she rather have them or a car someday." Sounds to me like she feels entitled to those things & doesn't see the need to EARN them! No one GAVE me a car, I earned the money to buy it myself. I would start cracking down on her for her attitude issues before she gets even worse. Start w/ the phone- at least you won't get any snotty texts from her while she's grounded from it! GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Unless the dentist has made mention of braces don't worry about it. As for her getting shit stuck between her teeth and not wanting to floss. Give her the loss or tell her to suck it up and deal.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• "....except one that didn't come down when the rest of them did & it's crooked but it's not in front."

OK... so she's asking for medical attention and you are denying it???? I have all kinds of issues with that. The above mentioned can be a problem, especially as she ages. If my kid needed braces I would move heaven and earth to get them!! In fact my DD had an accident and needed braces at 8... it wasn't covered and we didn't have the money either... but here we are 20,000+ in dental, orthodontic & endodontic bills later... we found a way b/c it was what she needed!!! How do you know she doesn't need them... are you an orthodontist?? That's who needs to make that call. Get her checked out then go from there. A child should NOT have to EARN medical attention!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• When I got braces I thought all I was a crooked tooth. Turns out I had a whole mess of problems. After I got brace I found out I have tmj, and I'm missing 2 molars. They just never grew, and because I had braces they were able to position my wisdom teeth to take the place of the missing molars. You just never know. I would at least look into it and get a consultation.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 4:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2013