Dry, flaky scalp

I hear anti-dandruff shampoo makes dandruff worse in the long run.

Is there a natural solution? Olive oil or something?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Health

• I would honestly upgrade to a professional shampoo. Your scalp could have become irritated by the fragrances or dyes in the products you are using. I know it's a steep investment, but it really does last a long time. I was having flaky scalp syndrome - was washing everynight and conditioning every night. My hair dresser recommended I try Nioxin for fine/chemically treated hair (which is my hair), I've never used anything else since. It's $50 for the pair (1L each shampoo/conditioner in a pack) but it lasts me at least 8 months! My scalp is no longer flaky, no longer get oily hair if I don't wash it everyday and my hair styles so much better.
    Trust me... it's worth it!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Olive oil works, but so does apricot oil, put it on your scalp, and rub in brush the hair at the roots, to loosen any flakes, you can sleep in it, but it will take about 3 shampoos to get it out. I learned this on Cafe Mom, I have a very dry scalp, skin, and I am a huge fan of apricot oil now! I even put a few drops in my lotion to keep my skin from being dry and itchy!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Try coconut oil. you have to rub in in your scalp and leave it in over night. Wash it in the AM.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Is it truly dry? Often dandruff is caused by NOT washing your hair frequently enough
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• What sort of shampoo are you currently using? Have you switched products at all?
    Is it itchy and flaky or oily and flaky or just flaky?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• There is 2 kinds of dandruff oily and dry, I assume you would know if it was oily because you hair would look greasy.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:51 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• It's dry. I'm EBF so maybe a vitamin deficiency?

I wash my hair daily, I've been using herbal essences and sometimes an aussie deep conditioner afterwards. Shampoo has not changed. Diet hasn't changed, been drinking more water.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Not itchy, just flaky.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Do the olive or apricot thing, you might be washing your hair too much! Every other day should be enough!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 2:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• olive oil helps alot, with my daughter she had really bad dandruff and we tryed olive oil and it worked wonders. She no longer gets dandruff or dry scalp, we just put like 2 tablespoons in her hair every 2 days.
    pregnantmama89

Answer by pregnantmama89 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2013