Frustrating conversation with my mom

My mom calls at 6:02 PM
Mom- The weatherman just said we're going to get an inch of snow tonight
Me-Uh huh
mom- is that right?
Me- is that what he said?
Mom- yeah,but i figured your computer might say something else ( I have Weatherbug)
Me- Well,I heard snow tonight,but it'll turn to rain in the morning,but it's going to be 50 degrees out so don't worry about it.
Mom- Oh no! What if the power goes out?!
Me- the power isn't going to go out,it's just sprinkles.
Mom- I get scared when there are thunderstorms.my oxygen machine won't work
Me- mom,you have 2 backup tanks that have 6 hours each on them. If those ran out and you couldn't breathe,you could call 911
Mom- what if they can't get to me? The streetlights and the stoplights would be off
Me- you need to stop getting worked up over something that isn't going to happen.

She needs to see a psychiatrist. The anxiety drugs are not working.
I cut her off before she got to Godzilla attacking or something.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Relationships

• Would one of those Life Alert buttons help her? You know, the ones you see on TV where an elderly person can push the button on her bracelet if she falls and can't get to a phone? It sounds like living alone really freaks her out. That or she just wants attention--I seriously think it might be good for her to get a roommate. Companionship, sharing expenses, someone there in case of an emergency.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• She needs a companion......someone to take care of her.....she has too much time to think.......

Answer by older at 10:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I know it's not funny, but I must confess I giggled a bit when you mentioned cutting her off before she got to Godzilla attacking.

I think it's time for some serious tough love. If it were me, at this point, I think I would tell my mom that I'm cutting all contact with her until she gets some real help and/or starts taking her meds properly or whatever needs to happen at this point. I wouldn't keep trying to tolerate her, and I would be sick of trying to constantly reassure her (which it sounds like you're doing). I'd make it a "do it or we're done" thing, and then stick to it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:33 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Poor mom! Does she live alone?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• She's feeling lonely. It happens when you get older. She wants to know that you care about, which is the real reason she called. Try just replying with, "Mom, I care about you." for everything. See if it works.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:01 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• bless her heart
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Think about this, what if this was your last conversation with her? Would that be how you'd want it to go.
    She needs your love and support. Call her doctor and express your concerns if she herself will not talk openly with the doctor. Take her to her appointment even better.
    She's your Mom, you've only got one and once she's gone - there is no replacing her.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• She gets in these spirals at least once a week

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• She sees the doc on Tuesday. I told her to ask for different meds,and to mention these anxiety issues are overwhelming her

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• yeah

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2013