My Newborn is constipated what could I do ?

I have a newborn baby. He is 1 month and 1 week tomorrow. He seems to be constipated. I took him to the doctor yesterday & they stuck a cue-tip in his booty with some lube I assume. I asked what I could give him at home so he wont be constipated & they told me Karo corn syrup. Ive been giving it to him since yesterday. Ive been giving him 1/2 tsp in every bottle he drinks. But, still it seems not to work. What else could I do to help him ? He pushes, strains & cries. Hes in a lot of discomfort. PLEASE HELP US !! :(

scrumptious018

Asked by scrumptious018 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Really? A pediatrician suggested that? Get a new doctor.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• To help positionally. Hold his legs up. Do bicycle movements. Bounce him on your lap. Rub his belly.

Are you mixing the formula correctly? Over feeding?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:50 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• dont give him karo syrup.. that dr is an idiot. that baby is too little for that.
    http://www.easybabylife.com/my-one-month-old-baby-is-constipated.html

Anonymous

• Call the office and tell them that the problem is still going on. If you are bottle feeding, one suggestion is to change formulas, but you should talk with your doctor. Corn syrup is what my mother and grandmother used, but I think that these days they suggest prune juice, but for such a young baby you should really take a doctor's advice over what you find in the Internet. Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 9:55 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• breast milk or formula?
    Anonymous

• Why do you think the baby is constipated? How many days has it been?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• well I think he might not be getting enuff fluids try some pidelite with his normal bottols and warm towel on his tummy when he is not trying to poop and dont use the karo or corn surp it will make it worse and rub his back a lot and call a different doctor and look around for the doctor you are confertable with not one that is easy to get in with un less it's the er, amd I hope that he can poop easier soon it helped me when mine had that problem but everybody is different so do what you think and what you're doctor and remember doctors are always there to help... and good luck
    Traber

Answer by Traber at 12:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• No Karo. It poses a botulism risk. And no sticking things up baby's rectum either; it can make baby dependent upon it and unable to go on her own.

Is baby passing hard dry pellets or merely having trouble passing regular poop? Breastfed or formula? Is the formula being mixed correctly?

Often infant discomfort in pooping is NOT constipation but merely a dislike of the new sensation. She didn't poop in the womb and it feels weird. Sometimes it can point to a bowel obstruction.

Find a different doc, please. This one gave you all kinds of bad advice.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Mi baby does the Same it scares me but I give him caffeine free Chamomile tea and it soothes him and he will poop good idk if it right to do that but that's what my family uses...
    marleni_sergio

Answer by marleni_sergio at 6:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2013

• my daughter is on formula that makes her really constipated and in pain and they have her on miralax which also causes discomfort and pain of its own , so to soothe my daughter(5months) i do the bicycle leg movements, also i lay her on her back grab the middles of her legs and gently push her legs to her stomach (iv relieved her gas problems like that also) , bouncing and if all else fails, a warm bath with a tummy massage soothes her , good luck, and id look into other doctor opinions as well
    tatortot4

Answer by tatortot4 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2013