I need a good lie- Stupid debt collectors calling my parents

So I basically feel like I am a little kid again and have to come up with a good lie to tell my parents. Me and my dh have been having some bad financial problems the past year. It had been impossible for him to get full time, and I had a retail job that paid hardly anything, so we got behind on our credit cards. Now the debt collectors called my parents today to try and find me. I had talked to them like 3 weeks ago, but hadnt answered since, so they sought out my parents, they didnt say any details, but the lady left her name, the number of the company, and told them that it was a personal matter. Now they get these kinds of calls all the time about my BIL's and SIL's so they probably suspect that its a debt thing. I dont want to tell them the truth because they will act like it is the worst thing in the world, and that I am awful etc. etc., I hate lying but I am honestly too stressed to deal with them right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• Tell them a CC was stolen, or some other form of identity theft.
    Anonymous

• just tell them the truth. were behind on payments. with the way the economy they should be understanding if not tell them not to worry about it it it isn't there business..
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I actually agree with krazyash on this one lol.
    Anonymous

• tell them its none of their buissness or that you and your husband are trying to consalidate your loans or something.
    Anonymous

• I would tell them you have been playing phone tag with someone from the credit card company when they cant reach you, your parents numbers are still on application. and then i would get the number from your parents and call and tell them you no longer live there and you want them to remove the number and if they call again you will press charges for giving info to someone not on your account.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 5:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It's just that they are the really nosy, involved type, and they will freak out. I am having our second child in a few weeks, and I dont feel like dealing with all the drama it will cause when they come and visit. I feel awful. I hate lying, but I just cant deal with them right now. They dont understand how people can get into debt like we are, and not be able to afford to pay it. I just feel like a child again.
    Anonymous

• You're much better off just telling them the truth, and telling them that you are working on sorting it all out then actually DO that, make a plan to get it all sorted! Trust me, lying won't get you anywhere because my mom is the exact same way and she freaks out if anything was one payment behind. Its not that way for me anymore since we enough money now, but it sure was back then! We're scraping by right now but if I were to call my mom and say I got a credit card, she would FREAK lol. I too feel like a kid, but I just can't lie because you always get caught.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We had that problem with our daughter (her cr. cds. were calling us). If your parents give you the message then take it and don't reply. If they ask about it tell them the truth. As a parent they may want to offer assistance... if not then that's fine. In the mean time call the cr. cd. company back and try to make agreeable arrangements. If that won't work then laugh at them and tell them it is their loss not yours.
    If your parents doesn't like getting the calls they can tell them not to call back and get the name and employee number of who they told that to. It is illegal and harrasment if they keep calling them after that.
    Good Luck and I hope it works out.
    Granna2006

Answer by Granna2006 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You should absolutely let them know what's going on. I also would highly recommend that you get in touch with these debt collectors and set up some type of payment arrangements. They will not simply go away, you have to deal with it somehow. If you don't have the money to do payment arrangements, perhaps you should consider credit counseling. Either way, you can't hide from this. Good luck!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 6:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• The thing is if you just tell them a lie sooner or later they will probably find out...being honest is the best policy! It's not easy sometimes, and if they give you trouble about it tell them that they need to be a little bit more understanding on what your going through.
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2009