8 1/2 month old not sleeping through the night...HELP!

My 8 1/2 month old stopped sleeping through the night. He was doing good sleeping a good 6-8 hours before waking up to eat. Now all of a sudden that has stopped. He is waking up 2 to 3 times a night and not going to sleep after he has nursed. And on top of that half the time I can't get him back in his bed after that. My husband is no help cause my son just won't let my husband calm him down. (That's another issue in itself) He is a breastfed baby and eating solids 3 times a day. Please, somebody, HELP! How can I get him sleeping throught the night again?

bkenney410

Asked by bkenney410 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my kids never slept through the night at that age. That said since he used to sleep through the night and that has changed it could be a number of things teething, growth spurt, recently learned a new skill. Here is a link to a journal were I reposted a great article I found in a magazine. It helped me feel better about it all. http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/91515/Baby_Toddler_Sleep_issues
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I really don't know! My daughter is 3 years old, and STILL doesn't sleep throughout the night! They go through phases of sleeping very well, to very poorly!! Good luck!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Maybe try to add more breastfeeding sessions in during the day so that he isn't needing to eat at night? Possibly a growth spurt? Is he maybe teething?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Unfortunately, this is normal. Is he mastering a new skill, such as crawling, walking, climbing? Those can cause sleep disruptions.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I agree it is completely normal, BUT, you salvation lies in The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantley.

My 20 month old went from hourly (yes, hourly) wakings to sleeping 4 hour stretches, which for us is wonderful. We are now awaiting the Toddler version of the book to continue the path.

It's not an overnight fix, but we started seeing results in the first few days.

Amazon.com has it really cheap, about $10 shipped for a used copy.

Please do yourself a favor and get this book.

Oh, and *hugs* mama I know how hard it can be, but remember your baby is still very very young.

AND, lol could he be sick, teething, ear infection, etc???
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 5:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my 2 year old doesnt sleep through the night either. but when he was around that age my mom used to tell me to give him a bottle (i understand you bf but maybe you can pump a bottle) with cereal in it right before bedtime and it will fill their tummy and help them sleep through the night. good luck momma
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• They go through phases...its normal. It could be any number of things. A new skill he is learning, growth spurt. Try not to go into his room unless he is really upset. If it is a half hearted cry or he is just fussing...let him be fore a few minutes. Sometimes they'll go back to sleep on their own...I find I rush in there too quickly sometimes and do more harm than good. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009