I need to transplant my ponderosa lemon tree seedling

I don't have a proper planter for it. What can I plant it in? I don't want it to die and the roots are coming out the bottom. Could I poke holes in a plastic cup and temporarily plant it in there until I can buy a cool pot? Its little and I have 32 oz cups so the roots would not be exposed to light.

The dirt would be a seedling potting mix. Organic.

If anyone has a better idea throw it out there.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 10:40 PM on Apr. 5, 2013 in Home & Garden

• When will you be able to buy a pot? If soon, I'd just wait and transplant it once, because it's stressful on a plant every time you move it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• I should have waited but it is dying now. I put it in the cup and it was harder than I thought. It has 8 times more room now.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• Poor ponderosa lemon tree seedling. I LOVE it so much.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2013

• You don't need to move it to a large pot. Get a very sharp saw (or knife you don't mind abusing a bit) and some potting soil. Pull the tree out of the pot and using the saw/knife cut off approximately two inches all around/under the root ball. Replant the tree in the same pot, fill in with potting soil. It will go into transplant shock (drooping leaves, some leaves may yellow and fall off, etc, it will recover) for a while, so make sure to keep it properly watered. No fertilizing until the transplant shock has passed.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Saw you already repotted; it may not be dying it may just be going through shock. Keep it watered and in moderate sun, it should recover in about a week or so.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2013