Another Question about Braces

The other questions about braces got me thinking. My stepson is seventeen. He has a few crooked teeth but doesn't really seem to care about the way they look. He hates dentists with a flaming passion and usually has to be sedated for even minor procedures because of sensory issues that make it hard for him to tolerate being touched. His mom and dad and I have always kind of thought braces would be more of an ordeal for him than they'd be worth in the end.

So my question is, beyond asthetics, are there medical or health reasons to get your teeth straightened out? I had braces for four years as a teenager, and a retainer for nearly four more, at a cost of $3000, and my teeth shifted back to their original crookedness very quickly after I quit wearing the retainer. Is there any harm in waiting till adulthood to do braces instead of getting them in the teen years?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:11 AM on Apr. 6, 2013 in Kids' Health

• My husb is the baby of 9 children. They obviously could not afford to do something like that. Some of his siblings got braces as adults. I think if you consult with an orthodontist or his dentist since they know how he is about dental procedures, and see what they say. My oldest went thru the palatal expander & then braces. After all that, they wanted to break his jaw to align things properly. We told them to pound sand, the poor kid had been thru enough.  You have to do what is best for your child & within your budget.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:39 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• There is no harm in getting braces done later, but when its done and when he is an adult, he will have to keep going to have to have the work done over a longer period of time. This is because an adult jaw is completely formed. But if you get braces earlier, they don't have to be kept on the teeth for nearly as long.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:34 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• are there medical or health reasons to get your teeth straightened out?

There can be... every case is individual.

Is there any harm in waiting till adulthood to do braces instead of getting them in the teen years?

again.... every case is unique. Sometimes it doesn't matter, sometimes it makes a big difference. It's something that needs to be discussed with a dental/orthodontic professional.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I wouldn't do braces if he feels that way. The dentist would have told you by now if he must have them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I guess not. I have 2 molars that are just nowhere to be found and I lucked out and had my braces when my wisdom teeth were growing in so they were able to position those in the empty spaces where my molars should've been. I don't know if it would've been a big deal if they hadn't though.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 2:21 AM on Apr. 6, 2013