Target, Wal-Mart, any other grocery store Employees

Why are Wal-Mart employees so paternized?
What is the real difference in someone working at a Target or other grocery store?
They're all basically fur filling the same job titles and routines.
There are rude people in every business and frankly, everywhere you go. Nowadays...
So is being a waitress or waiter considered a better or worse job than being a Wal-Mart employee?
What about one of those guys who has to work outside all day road repair, construction, etc?

Just trying to understand why the Wal-Mart employees always seem to get a bad rap...

From what I understand Wal-Mart actually promotes its employees and has one if the best retail systems ( inventory, reordering, etc)
Once even heard that if a Wal-Mart employee wanted to transfur to a Target - that Target would hire them on the spot because Wal-Mart employees are trained better.

So is it the employees or the clientele that give this store a bad reputation?

Help me understand...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Apr. 6, 2013 in Money & Work

• They get a bad rap because they work for the cheatest store in town.

Answer by louise2 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I never understood this either - it's not like GE, Dirt Devil or any other company - stops production - yells out, this batch if for a Wal-Mart store put the cheaper parts in the next 500.

All these stores sell the same products.
    So, as a consumer I choose to pay $20 for a toaster at Wal-Mart and not $35. at a different store. That only makes sense to me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Okay, but my question isn't about products - it's about the employees - Why are they deemed so "stupid" or whatever?
    I'm sure they have a hiring process similar to any of the other retail stores.
    Background checks, drug testing, ect.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Not sure. The Walmart we go to, everyone is nice, has been there for years and most are fluent in multiple languages.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I only go to Walmart because of it's cheaper prices. If I based it solely on customer service, I would not go back. I find it hard to believe that they train their employees the best, because they have some of the worst customer service.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:17 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Walmart HR and upper management give Walmart their bad name.
    Unfair trading practices, unfair working conditions for employees, just click on Walmart lawsuits anew that should answer all your questions.
    I wouldn't give that company one penny of my money!
    I'd rather pay a few dollars more some where else.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• well I went to walmart yday the cashier was rude not friendly did not speak did not say thank u have a nice day...she was a igorant ass witch....MISERABLE
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• The one in my town is staffed by retirees and teenagers at their first job. The retirees are nice, but they don't run the registers, the teenagers do. Most of the cashiers are rude, don't know what they are doing or just don't care. Most Wal-Marts I have been in have more than their fair share of surly people who suck at customer service, that is why Wal-Mart has a bad rep.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:26 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Why do you guys continue to go back if you're treated so rudely?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 6, 2013

I don't know about others, but Walmart is the closest place with the best prices. If we had a place with comparable prices (like Target) closer, I would definitely go there instead. I can drive pasted two walmarts before getting to the closest target. I wouldn't mind slightly higher prices, if I didn't have to drive further.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:37 AM on Apr. 6, 2013