My Daughter is 5 years old and still pee's her pants!

I've read a lot about kids who were potty trained then reverted back but my problem is that although she goes pee in the potty, she still pee's her pants on a day to day basis. She has to wear pullups at night because she can't clearly use the potty on a normal basis during the day. Could there be something wrong with her blatter? Why is she struggling so much to pee in the potty when she knows how to use it in the first place?

yancey04

Asked by yancey04 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you spoken to her Pediatrician? Is she regularly constipated? Chronic Constipation often can cause that to happen. If so, you can try Miralax for a month or two. It makes the stool soft & it easier to go but not urgently. BUT, I'd talk to her Dr. ASAP.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Also you should try adding more fiber & water to her diet.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Some Dr.'s don't consider it a problem until they are 7 years old. Does it happen when she is sitting quietly, or is she busy doing something when it happens? Some kids just don't want to stop what they are doing and they end up waiting until it's too late. That's a maturity issue. Maybe make her help clean up if you don't already as a negative time consuming consequence of her ignoring the signals to use the restroom. It would be a good idea to bring it up to her Pediatrician though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• My dd wasn't trained until the end of 6th grade. It turned out she had a spastic bladder. She was on meds for a while. Her incentive to be dry was she wanted to go to sleep-away camp and would be in a bunk with 18 other girls plus counselors. She really wanted to go and that was her incentive. We took her to a pediatric urologist who found her problem.

There is a website bedwetting.com that has a slew of products that could help. There are alarms that can attach to her underwear and will sound when it gets wet.

While in school my dd had a free pass to get up and run to bathroom without having to ask the teacher. We spoke with the school nurse and her teachers and they all knew and had no problem with that. We also kept extra clothes with the school nurse.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 1:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• She is definitely not constipated, and it does mostly happen when she is doing something, whether playing quietly by herself or with others....there is always "reason" why she does it but not really. Also when she does have to pee she will squat and tell me she has to hold it! But, can never make it to the toilet on time.
    yancey04

Comment by yancey04 (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• She could be holding her pee tell she can't any more. She does not want to stop what she is doing and go pee. When you are together you might need to remember to tell her to go to the bathroom.

Answer by louise2 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• ya take her to a doctor they might have pill to help with that it could be health related
    tamrakay22

Answer by tamrakay22 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• If it's a certain game or toy that has her attention, that toy gets taken away until she can pee on the potty like a big girl. My son used to do that with video games, so, we took them away.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I feel your pain and frustration!! I have a 6 year old daughter who often pees in her pants during the day as well. Sometimes it is when she is doing nothing and there is no excuse why she didn't get up and go to the bathroom. Other times it is when she begins to run and play that she pees. She is a master of holding it and I often wonder if she is weakening her muscles because she holds it for so long. I like one mother's answer that it is a maturity issue. My daughter also wears pull ups every night and is ALWAYS wet every morning. My husband and I are going to begin to wake her up at night to bring her to the bathroom and try to train her brain and bladder to go eliminate if she awakens at night and see how that works. For the daytime accidents, we have tried many methods to help her. The one that the doctor told us was to remind her to go to the bathroom frequently, like every 1-2 hrs, and make sure she tries to go.
    lovingmom945

Answer by lovingmom945 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• my son is 5-1/2 and the past year has been doing the same thing,,, just this past year it seems. he was night and day trained at just before 3- now its peed bed at night, accidents at daycare, pooped himself tonight, he's VERY busy so I do know he doesn't want to stop what he's doing but.. it gets old. we've tried positive renforcement, taking things away, making him wash his own underpants, a sticker reward chart,. nope nothin'
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2013