How many of you....

have a mother who says you are with someone way below you and your family? i am with a great man and he works as the manager of a dollar tree. my mother says that i am choosing someone who wont ever be able to pay my expensive hobbies (as she puts it) and that i should have stayed with ex hubby .... abusive creep that he is.... wth.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'm sorry. Your mom sounds like a piece of work. Ignore her. I'm blessed to have a mother who only cares about how dh treats me and dd and our happiness.

Oh and good job getting rid of ex husband. Your mother should be proud of you for not putting up with that crap.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 2:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• My mom has never said that to me but I'm sorry about what your mom said she should be glad that your happy and found someone who isn't going to abuse you...Although I'm glad you left you left yo hubby
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Sorry, but your mom sounds like an idiot. My mom said some stupid things like that when I first met my now ex husband, and I was, and still am, glad I ignored her. Money's just what you need if you don't die tomorrow.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• My mother liked my husband.
    My father and stepmother hated him, talked behind our backs, said awful things. Lots of lies and gossip, even after we had been married 15 years. They are country club assholes who think they're better than the rest of the world. When my husband and I were dating, he wasn't allowed to park in their driveway. He drove an old truck, and they always have felt he was beneath them. Everyone who knows Troy loves him because he's a great guy. My father and stepmother never bothered to really get to know him. They would rather lie and gossip than know that someone they feel is beneath them is actually a good man, when they themselves are the losers.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Tell her to marry your ex then, but you choose who you love. Is she really that materialistic? I would block out any future "advice" from her. Her priorities are wack! A daughter's safety and happiness should top the list.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I'm sorry you aren't getting the support you deserve. I know my mom would want me to be happy. Sure, not having to struggle is important. But I'd rather struggle w/ someone who treats me right, than have a rich asshole for a husb. You can't put a price on that kind of happiness.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• No she felt sorry for my X
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Sounds like you are from a nicer cloth. Alot of times peoplelike that convince themselves that the "pain" is worth the title. You must have
    some other gene in your chromozones that make you see life for what it really is. Truth is your mom propbaly doesn't know what real safe love is. You can do nothing for her and just live your life. Just pat her on the head and say yes mother, how about just giving me some money so I can still have my hobbies snice you have it and you care about it so much... Might as well..
    Mibarra

Answer by Mibarra at 2:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Dont listen to her....Mothers are not always right!!!! She sounds like an asshole and I wouldnt even deal with her. My daughter is sixteen and I much rather her be with someone that treats her right and someone she feels safe with then be with someone like you described.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 10:05 AM on May. 3, 2013

• As long as you are sure he is God's will for your life, and you have prayed about the situation, then it should not matter what your mom says. If you two love each other and have a Biblical reason for the divorce, then love should prevail.
    Anonymous