Plan B as an OTC...

What are your thoughts?

PMSMom10

Asked by PMSMom10 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2013 in Health

• A part of me thinks, of course I'd want to know. And, the other part of me knows I wouldn't. My parents were pretty much blissfully unaware of my sexual escapades when I was a teen. And, I'm sure they preferred it that way. I think it should be able to be purchased by girls age 15 & older. I don't like the idea of males getting it b/c I can see it being used by date rapers.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• In my opinion the benefits of having it as a readily available OTC medication that a girl of any age can buy in case of need (whether it be rape, broken condom, or just forgot to take her birth control and it is not readily accessible) far outweigh the disadvantages of potential abuse as a form of primary birth control or used by date rapers(who probably wouldn't be concerned about the girl getting pregnant anymore than they would be concerned about wearing a condom).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Kristi said exactly what I was going to say so I'll defer to her response.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I would rather a young girl buy Plan B than suffer through an abortion. (If that's what she would choose after becoming pregnant)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I'm all for it since it's better than unplanned pregnancies. You can't really prevent them from promiscuous activity so might as well give them a way to deal with it. Also, I think the guys purchasing it can be a way of showing a bit of responsibility and at least they are not just making the girl deal with it on her own. Also, some people buy it out of paranoia. The girl could be on the pill and just be paranoid about it working at first. It's also good for women and girls who have been raped and are too afraid/ashamed to press charges and just want to deal with it on their own.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Hopefully it gives them awful side effects and they use protection EVERY time afterwards
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Hmmmm.....I like the idea of it being available to women & teens who may need it. However, I don't like the idea of anyone being able to purchase it (especially males).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• in the states where no parental consent/ notification for termination of a pregnancy is required i see no problem
    the remainder of states i understand the concern

point being- if we are going to allow the termination of the pregnancy why not the prevention of pregnancy?
    if we are going to say you must be a certain age for prevention then perhaps ALL bc should fall under the same regulation?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I did not want to be a mom with my head in the sand and think if I told my daughter she shouldn't have sex until married, she would listen. I was very open with her, and told her I would gladly take her to get the pill when she thought she would need it. I am very glad that plan B will be available. At $35 to $50 a pop, I don't see people using it as a regular form of birth control.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• I think they need to stress the fact that the sooner it's taken the more effective it is but that in all cases, as birth control, it's less reliable than the pill or condoms. Secondly, they also need to stress that it does not, in any way, prevent the transmission of STDs.

I also believe that making it more easily available would reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2013