6 year old having accidents...need advice.

He kept having accidents at night so I stopped letting him have drinks 2 hours before bed....that works. But he keeps having "accidents" during the day. I thought it was because he was "too busy" playing games or watching TV, so I took those away from him. And he is still having accidents! Is he just lazy or is there some problem? He does ADHD...I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Please help!

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 6:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it takes them time to get used to their body's signals. Teach him that as soon as he feels the urge to go potty, he should go right away and not wait. Every time he goes right away at home, reward him. Some beverages also make you want to go potty faster than others. I would keep him in training undies until he has mastered recognizing the need to go.

http://www.superundies.com/p-45-bedwetting-pants-nighttime-underwear.aspx#page=desc

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• My son has ADD (hyper focus)- if he became to interested in an activity he would "forget" he had to go potty.
    Talk to your ped and therapist. There may be an underlying issue.

I dont think taking everything away is a good idea because he has to learn to function in public settings. Perhaps just watching for cues? Such as wiggling, grabbing his genitals etc. And then asking him if he needs to go? Gently reminding him that the activity will be there even if he is gone for the 60 seconds it takes to empty his bladder?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I would talk to his pediatrician and have some tests done (urine, x-ray, ultrasounds). He could have an infection. Or overactive bladder. Or could be because of constipation.

DD started wetting the bed at night (only) again back in November at almost 7 years old. All diagnoses have been ruled out by both her pediatrician and a pediatric urologist. So until her body gets back on track at night, she's wearing Goodnights.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2013