When does colostrum come in?

I'm almost 37 weeks and my breasts haven't leaked at all. Should i have colostrum by now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Everyone is different. Sometimes it doesn't come in until the baby is born. Make sure you have lots of suckling at the breast with your newborn. It's the perfect food for them and will stimulate your milk coming in.
    Anonymous

• Mine came in before baby, my husband was, well ya know.....and out came some. But upon birth it will come out. My girlfriend was just 2 months premature with preclampsia and her milk came in then.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It will be there when it is needed. Just be patient. Some women get it earlier than others.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think its different for everyone. . Cause mine came at about 20 or so weeks and hasn't stopped yet.
    mandar

Answer by mandar at 6:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yep dont worry. Your body will do its thing. Mine came in as baby was sucking it out for the first time.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It may come before baby is born or not until baby is born, and your full milk supply wont be in until a few days to a week after babys birth, DONT be discouraged mama, what you are makings is just what your baby needs and at just the right time!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 6:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Colostrum can come in very early in the pregnancy, or not until after delivery. Both are very normal and one outcome does not ensure an easier breastfeeding experience then the other. My colostrum came in when I was three months pregnant and was very heavy, however my milk did not come in until three days after giving birth. Some women may not get colostrum until delivery, but have their milk come in very quickly, and well, you get the idea. After you give birth you may be discouraged because your milk may not come in immediately, but whatever you do, do not quit! It will come in the more you have your baby at the breast or if that is not an option (if you have a sick or premature baby), the more you pump. The more she/he takes in, the more you will make, and it's always nice to have extra milk frozen just in case.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Mine came in before I knew I was pregnant. I'm not kidding. I was 4 weeks pregnant. My friend was 38 weeks when hers came in. Everyone is different.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 6:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• mine has been leaking since i would say 6 months pregnant...but it'll come. just put your baby on your boob right after he/she comes out.
    rgie_wermager

Answer by rgie_wermager at 12:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• is it normal to have colostrum say being a month pregnant? i have had the colostrum from my right boob and not the left and now i find out that i have it on the left also. is it possible that i am pregnant even after missing my august depo shot
    mraffety

Answer by mraffety at 9:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2011