How do I go about getting a mental health diagnosis for a 6 year old?

We have had one of the roughest years I ever could have imagined. We think my DS has inherited his fathers bipolar. The school and our councelor are saying we need to get a neuro-psych eval done for a diagnosis, but people I've been talking to are saying we need to go to a psychiatrist. Have any mamas out there been down this road with their little ones?

kryssie78

Asked by kryssie78 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2013 in Kids' Health

• It is NOT true that bipolar can not be diagnosed til age 25 - where did that come from, LOL? Psychiatrists are not 'doctor-counselors'. They get all the medical training a doctor gets. Then ontop of that, additional, specialized training in mental health. If you suspect bipolar in a child, take him/her to a child psychiatrist! Simple! Your primary care provider can give you a recommendation.
    lancet98

Answer by lancet98 at 9:48 AM on May. 5, 2013