*TRIGGER* Inapporiate to ask someone if they are using WIC to pay for groceries? adult content

Backstory is DH works at a major grocery/retail store, in the electronics department. They DO NOT train workers who don't work at the front of the store how to work WIC or produce codes. He doesn't understand why it is inapporiate to ask them (his reason being he doesn't want them to waste their time and have them load all their items (they are only suppose to check out 10-15 items anyway) and then say "oh I can't help you") when he is going to have to send them to the front of the store. He was really upset because he was accused of being racist and didn't understand as he is obviously ethnic. He doesn't see it aa shameful anddidn't know why people were offended. I told him next time just tell people "we don't have the training for WIC or produce" instead of asking. Was that the right thing or should he just let them put their items on the counter and not say anything until the very end?

Sunshine72188

Asked by Sunshine72188 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• WIC is usually a check with the items allowed written on it,at least thats how it was for me years ago, why wold anyone be attempting to pay for food items in the electronics dept anyways? It's not like food stamps or Wic is going to be accepted there anyways....cash,check or charge only please!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I know but people do it anyways, I guess to avoid the lines upfront.
    Sunshine72188

Comment by Sunshine72188 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• your husband flat out asked someone, "are you paying with WIC"?
    why would he assume ANYONE was paying with WIC checks?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• He shouldn't have asked.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• He didn't assume, he asks everyone with food items. If you don't know before the transaction is started you have to wait and void it wait for a csm (customer service manager) to override then start all over again
    Sunshine72188

Comment by Sunshine72188 (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• What does his employer want him to do? THAT is what he is to do whether he understands it or not.

If the store was smart, they'd put up a sign so he never has to ask. He can certainly suggest it. A big red "NO WIC" sign.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• He shouldn't need to ask- the customer should inform him/show him if they have WIC checks to be used. Failing that, I agree with Gdiamante, the store should post a sign that WIC checks can only be used at the front registers- I am guessing a store like Walmart is where he works? I use WIC, and know that they can only be processed at front registers.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• "What does his employer want him to do? THAT is what he is to do whether he understands it or not."

That's a good point
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I don't think the store has a rule or policy about it (asking that is). Its true he shouldn't need to ask, they (the company) expect him to know how to do WIC, even though he is not a cashier. They have different signs around the registers (about returns) but no one pays attention to those either.
    Sunshine72188

Comment by Sunshine72188 (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I think it all depends on how he asked. I think the idea of a sign saying something to the effect of 'we cannot process sales paid by WIC at this register / I this department' that would clear up much confusion. Instead of asking people if they are paying with WIC, he might just try starting the conversation with 'just for reference, I cannot process WIC payments / purchase in this department'.

Honestly though, a sign is the best option for the store employees and the customer.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:17 PM on Apr. 6, 2013