I feel awful

I have been unemployed since Sept 2011 and its SOO frustrating. I have been applying and applying and trying to stay positive and encouraged, but now I'm getting tired. Money has ran out and bill collectors are calling like crazy, 3 kids, separated, and just plain 'ol tired!! It's hurtful to look on fb and see family and friends getting jobs and buying cars and I just feel stuck!! So I don't answer the phone when people call, I just kinda keep to myself because I don't want to seem like a
Debbie Downer to some ppl. Anybody been in a rut like me? What did you do to get over this hard time? I can't give up, I don't have no choice but to keep moving, but right now I just want to scream, break some stuff and run away...If you have words of encouragement, that will be nice as well, Thank you!

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 10:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2013 in Money & Work

• Everyone at some point in their lives has had "bad times". Good thing is nothing lasts forever! The bad stuff helps us to enjoy and appreciate the good stuff even more.

Whenever I get into depression modes I turn off anything that may be adding to my sour state of mind and turn on things that make me feel better. Turn off the news, stop reading the paper and watch some silly cartoons or "feel good' movies. Listen to upbeat songs. Go for walks to clear your head.
    Whatever you focus on expands. Remember to focus on the things that make you happy and you're grateful for. Write down exactly what you would like to have in your "new job". Write in the present tense, "I am so happy and grateful now that I have a job that... (fill in the blank)" and keep going. There are great meditaitons and visualization videos on Youtube that can help you attract the kind of life you want to live.
    http://divinerighttoberich.com
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Above and beyond temp agencies, what about work retraining? Career counseling and interview coaching? Your state's unemployment department would offer services like this. Or your local community college.

Don't cut yourself off from the world. You can socialize without having to lie. In fact, networking is the number one way to get a job. So start answering that phone again.

You may need to consider bankruptcy for the bills, if they're in your name or both your names. If they're NOT in your name, then talk with your attorney (if you're separated and considering divorce you need one) about what your next step should be.

What kind of work? Are you open to relocating?

Answer by gdiamante at 10:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• I was stuck and totally screwed like that before the economy really started sucking. Now that everybody else is having hard times, my family is actually doing quite well. I also try to keep my mouth shut and not talk about my good fortune. You find out who your friends are when you are having a hard time. I hope things turn around for you really really soon.  It can happen.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Have you tried temp agencies? What kind of work are you looking for?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• It's hard to feel stuck like that. Cold comfort, but I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2013

• Just take any job. Target, Staples, Starbucks - just get something to pay the bills and keep your work history active. Perhaps let me review your resume. It could be something wrong with it.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:19 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Are you just looking for work in your field or just a job to pay the bills? Find a job. Any job.

Answer by louise2 at 8:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Have you tried care.com and sittercity.com? There are several categories of jobs. Use the pulldowns to see them. There is no fee for those looking for jobs. I also agree that getting something through a temp agency could lead to full time work. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Hang in there a brighter day is yet to come for you...tune other things out & focus don't give up.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• I have been through this and never gave , now have got a good job and very happy, keep trying do not loose hope in yourself because you have got yourself as your strength. Always remebers there's nobody in bad times but many in good times.

Keep trying ! Good luck
    Dolphins823

Answer by Dolphins823 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2013